Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Pages app is frozen and wont load any documents

My Pages app was working fine until yesterday but now it wont even load. When clicking on the Pages icon, the menu opens at the top but nothing loads.

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:43 AM

11 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Wayne0001

Reboot your Mac. What do you mean by, “When clicking on the Pages icon, the menu opens at the top but nothing loads?” Is that a right-click, or a left click?

Same document. Try the following to open it:

1. Double-click the document icon
  2. Right-click on the document icon, and select Open with, and the version of Pages that created the document.
  3. Right-click on the document icon, and select Open with : Preview
  4. Drag/drop the document icon onto the Pages application icon
  5. Launch Pages, and select the document from within the Document chooser window
  6. Launch Pages, ignore the Document Chooser window, and from the File menu, choose Open Recent, and the document name

Nov 30, 2015 9:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

hi there

OK, no luck with that sorry.

Let me try explain again to simplify the problem.

If I open Pages from the dock at the bottom, sometimes it opens and then when it does it brings up the box to select a document (showing folders etc)

If I then select a document and I try doubleclicking, or just clicking once and going to the Open Tab when it comes up, Nothing happens... The document doesnt open at all and on the menu bar at the top, it says Pages on top left but no document opens...

I know windows well and in a case like this I would probably just reinstall the app but am not sure how to uninstall the app on the mac. Maybe that is the best way? Uninstall Pages and then reinstall it?

Does that make sense the way I explained it?

thanks

Wayne

Nov 30, 2015 10:12 AM in response to VikingOSX

hi again

Yep. I have tried all those steps.

It does seem that I can open some documents but only a few so far.

I am using Pages 5.6.1 on OS X El Capitan...

It has all been working fine until over the weekend.

Just background. I have created and used more than 500 documents in the past few months with no hassles until this arose.

In the past few weeks I have had a few hangups on Pages and I have had to force a close by right clicking on the Pages icon on the dock.

I think my best solution is going to be to reinstall Pages - what do you think?

and how do I go about that...

Many thanks

Dec 1, 2015 5:15 AM in response to Wayne0001

It is exactly what it is happening to me.

I have OS El Capitan 10.11.1 and same Pages version than you 5.6.1 (2562).

I already unistalled and installed again Pages, but nothing changed. restarted several times also.

I can open a new document, but to open a created document, it doesn't matter wich one, if its local, or if its cloud... it won't open. If you wait for a long time, at the end it opens, but you can do a couple of things and it freezes again, or, without doing anything on the document, if you change window and want to come back to pages, it wont show it, unless you hide all other windows, and then you see de pages doc but u have the "working" icon showing...

I have a memory checker/cleaner and it shows how when i open Pages it starts to take all memory available and reaches 99%.

Fan starts to go full throtle. the latest document i was working on it is 1,6Mb... .peges format ; it won't open a 100KB document either.

Everything was working properly yesterday; i made no changes and today it doesn't work.

I have checked with two different antivirus softwares and both says everything is OK in the system. I did not open or installed any application.

Every other app is working properly.

I have a Macbook air

13"

1,7 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

Dec 1, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Wayne0001

I very much doubt that reinstalling Pages is going to resolve your issues. There is something else ongoing on your Mac that is causing collateral issues with Pages. I have no open/edit/export/save issues with my Pages v5.6.1 on El Capitan 10.11.1. I run nothing in the next paragraph.

If applicable, deinstall all anti-virus, anti-malware, and any so-called cleaner/speedup/memory checker applications using the vendors's uninstall instructions. All of these have been reported to cause havoc with OS X, and they conflict with existing system services.

Shut your Mac down. On power, press and hold the shift key until you see a gray progress bar. This boot will be slower. At the login screen, you will see a red Safe Boot in the upper right screen. Before you click the right-arrow at the end of the password entry, press and hold the shift key again until your Desktop icons paint.

While still in Safe Boot mode. See if your Pages v5.6.1 issues persist. Reboot normally, and see if your Pages issues persist.

Dec 1, 2015 9:09 AM in response to VikingOSX

I justa have followed your instrcutions

I tried Safe Boot before uninstalling anti-virus or any other App as I had those apps long time ago and never had problems with pages or other apps, and none of them had any update recently.

Pages worked OK under safe mode boot, it opened not only .docx documents, but .pages and others; then i restarted the computer and now everything is working as usual !!!!

Everything fixed just starting with the safeboot as you said and restarting !!

Thanks a lot for your Tip VikingOSX.

Let's hope it keeps working well.

Dec 1, 2015 9:30 AM in response to VikingOSX

hi Viking

Done all that you asked and while it seems better. I had in the meantime also managed to find a workaround as I had been wondering if it is posisbly the actual document that is corrupt and I think that it is probably that.

What I had done as well is go to my backup of master documents on my cloud and open them and then save them over the ones on my mac and that seems to have solved the problem.

So many thanks for your help - I do appreciate it...

Wayne

My Pages app is frozen and wont load any documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.