Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can 2TB Extreme (802.11n) still be used with Time Machine when newer Airport (802.11ac) being used for wifi?

I plan on purchasing a new Airport Extreme without Time Capsule upgrading to standard 802.11ac. I currently have an Airport Extreme with 2Tb Time Capsule and would still like to use the Time Capsule with Time Machine. My concern is if this can be done, and if so, how? I do not want to have wifi competition, if any, with two Airport Extremes connected to same modem. BTW can the routers be daisy chained without problems?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 9:19 AM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2015 9:32 AM in response to sperbs

Once the new AirPort Extreme is up and running, connect an Ethernet cable from one of the three LAN <--> ports on the AirPort Extreme to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

If the Time Capsule will be located a few rooms away from the AirPort Extreme, it can be set up to provide more wireless signal coverage in that remote area. There is no signal loss through the Ethernet cable up to 330 feet, or about 100 meters.

If the Time Capsule will be located close to the AirPort Extreme, then you would want to turn off the wireless service on the Time Capsule since it would not be needed and might possibly conflict with the AirPort Extreme wireless.

Get the new AirPort Extreme up and running and then post back when you are ready to set up the Time Capsule. Let us know whether the Time Capsule will be located close to the AirPort Extreme..... or.....a few rooms away in an area where you need more wireless signal strength.

How can 2TB Extreme (802.11n) still be used with Time Machine when newer Airport (802.11ac) being used for wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.