Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 2012 OSX 10.8.5 system. I am finding it slowing down lately. Does anyone recommend a software upgrade to ElCapitan or other?

I am finding my system is getting slow. I have been unwilling to upgrade due to negative reports and my skill level. Can anyone tell me which update works well and is free for this version?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 9:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2015 6:45 AM

The only upgrade available now is El Capitan unless you have previously downloaded Mavericks or Yosemite. If you have downloaded them before, go to the App Store Purchases tab to download them.

Activity Monitor – Monitor Performance Problems

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2015 6:45 AM in response to joaniebgood

The only upgrade available now is El Capitan unless you have previously downloaded Mavericks or Yosemite. If you have downloaded them before, go to the App Store Purchases tab to download them.

Activity Monitor – Monitor Performance Problems

Performance Guide

Why is my computer slow

Why your Mac runs slower than it should

Slow Mac After Mavericks

Things you can do to resolve slowdowns see post by Kappy

Try running this program and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read.

Etrecheck – System Information

Dec 3, 2015 6:54 AM in response to Eric Root

thank you Eric. I will have a block of time to investigate these links tomorrow.

I also have moved to a rural mountain area where I have limited satellite connection but it seems by the HughesNet usage log that there is a constant usage even when my laptop is shut down. As there is non-one else around close enough to be using my signal I am thinking that there is a program running that may be a worm? causing everything to slow down and the signal to be less than it should be.

Having said this, my computer started slowing down and cutting out entirely at times ( having to reload page ) before I moved here.

Dec 3, 2015 8:42 PM in response to joaniebgood

If is possible you got some adware on your system, and it is busy using your system to generate clicks on ads to increase someone ad revenue.

The EtreCheck output Eric Root suggested, if posted as a reply to this thread, would allow the forum to analyze it for you, plus EtreCheck does recognize some forms of adware. NOTE: It is best to allow your system to run for awhile with all its problems so that EtreCheck will have useful information to collect. If you run it shortly after booting, all the valuable information and statistics will not have been generated yet.

There is also MalwareBytes that does a good job with adware removal.

<https://www.malwarebytes.org/>

So I would post EtreCheck output to get the forum community helping while you work your way through some of the other links Eric has provided.

I have a 2012 OSX 10.8.5 system. I am finding it slowing down lately. Does anyone recommend a software upgrade to ElCapitan or other?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.