Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer non-Apple Store epubs from my iPad to iTunes and other devices?

Hi All,

(Note: I'm on iOS 9.1 on my iPad and iTunes 12.3.1.23 on my MacBook Pro (Yosemite 10.10.5).)

My issue is that I can no longer transfer iBooks epubs downloaded on my iPad (that I didn't get from the Apple Store) to iTunes - which would then enable me to view them on other devices (my iBooks for Mac or on my iPhone) as well as having a back up.

The iTunes File menu option to 'transfer purchases from' iDevices to iTunes, which is the method I used until now, has been disabled and I know that this relates to Apple's 'App thinning' initiative. Does anyone know of another way to back up non-Apple Store epubs from iPad? I have seen other discussions on this site for how to deal with Apps themselves but not relating to this kind of content.

It's not always possible to download multiple times from the source, once for each device, e.g. an author offering a free download of an ebook from their site may only allow one download per email address, and it's definitely less convenient having to do so even when it is possible.

I'd be very grateful for any tips.

Thanks,

Rowan

iPad, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:16 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2015 10:04 AM in response to PRowanW

I don't know that it has anything to do with app thinning (if it does will you please provide a definitive reference). App thinning refers to making specific executable (= application) file versions for different i-devices. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB an epub is a set of data (not application) which is not platform specific.

epubs are handled by the iBooks app, not by iTunes (not for the past 2 years anyway).

Nov 30, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

Up until very recently, I would download new ebooks to iBooks on my iPad and then transfer them onto my Mac by using the 'transfer purchases from my iPad' option under Devices in the File menu in iTunes. The ebook would then appear in iBooks on my Mac, as you say, but that wasn't the app I would use to get them off my iPad. If there is a way to do it directly between iBooks (iPad) and iBooks (Mac) I would be very happy so please let me know!

Re. transferring purchases / app thinning, see the following link to another discussion: Re: Transfer Purchases no longer working. There are a few entries on there that make the connection. I am aware that applications and epubs aren't the same thing (that's why I've started a separate discussion thread); it just seems that epubs (as with other data files) have been affected by this change in procedure with apps. Anyway, I only mentioned it because I thought it might be helpful - I just want to be able to get my ebooks off my iPad and onto my Mac!

Nov 30, 2015 1:41 PM in response to PRowanW

The topic title in the link you post and many of the posts there are too vague. Non-transfer only applies to apps starting with iOS9. Here's the technical documentation from Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/library/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDis tributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html - iOS9 App Thinning > "Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable architecture and resources that are needed for the target device." ... "The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the devices your app supports."

"but that wasn't the app I would use to get them off my iPad"

I have no epubs so I don't know how they are handled. Typically iTunes will only sync non iTunes Store music and videos one way, to a device but I don't know where epubs fall along these lines. Apple makes no statement as to why this is so but there is a very good chance it is there at the request of media companies trying to deter media piracy. you say you use a different app to transfer your epubs in the past and you may need to continue to use that, or bring it up with the developer of the app if it no longer works.

How do I transfer non-Apple Store epubs from my iPad to iTunes and other devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.