Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rolled back my Macbook by 3 months with TimeMachine .. now iTunes out of sync with external library. How to solve?

I just rolled back my Macbook by 3 months with Time Machine (back to 10.9) .. I thought I thought of everything .. but I forgot iTunes. So now my iTunes is out of sync with my (always on external drive) library. Now I have lots of tunes .. *and* a whole ton of genre-micro-managing .. that are not showing.

Never had to resolve this before. What's the best way forward to not make a mess and lose work?

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:21 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:53 AM in response to tychonaut

The best way would have been to have kept the entire library on the external drive, not just the media which is not a "library". The entire library is the whole iTunes folder and all its support files and folders. iTunes does not inventory the media folder. It relies upon the .itl library file being correct and up to date on what has been put into and removed from the media folder, and your reverting to an earlier .itl file means this is no longer the case. Unless you have a backup of your old (newer) .itl file you will have to rebuild items in your library list by dragging the entire set of media folders to the Automatically Add To iTunes folder. In theory no files should duplicate (in theory). Anything iTunes knows about it will ignore and anything it doesn't know about will be added and the re-inventoried/added files put back in the same location.

Nov 30, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Limnos

Hi and thanks for the response.

I thought the entire library *was* on the external by selecting that in the prefs .. but I see now it is just the media.

I think at some point I had also copied over the .itl .xml files etc ... but I think I was pretty clueless about it. I can see them on my external *under* iTunes Media folder. So on my external I have and ITUNES folder (created by me I think) and then > iTunes Media > iTunes > iTunes Library.itl. And it was last modified in 2014.

I think I grabbed some files from the iTunes folder and dropped it in my external Media folder and then ended up thinking, somehow, that that was being accessed.

I can see now that all of those support files should be living directly under the iTunes folder. All they are on my external are backups of a year-old .itl file then.

So .. all of that info is lost (I suppose I could jump forward with TimeMachine and backup my .itl file .. and then rollback again. But all that "time-jumping" worries me. Chance of quantum loop or something.)

So it seems the simple solution is just grab my whole external iTunes Media folder and drop it on iTunes again. All of my "rating and sorting" work from the last 3 months will be lost, but I won't end up with doubles or break anything, correct? My older tunes will be recognized and my newer tunes will just be added as if for the first time, yes?

In the future ... how can I set everything, including the .itl file, to be running off the external? It seems I can only point iTunes there for the Media Folder. I don't see anywhere to say "This is the .itl file you should be using". It looks like it always goes local for that.

Nov 30, 2015 9:22 AM in response to tychonaut

As I said, in theory you should end up with no duplicates... Anything added since will appear as "new". It will be as if your city library lost its catalog and found a copy it had from 1995. There will be things on the shelves that are not in the list, and there will be things in the list that are no longer on the shelves, or are maybe on the shelves but have been reclassified and will appear on the list in the old entry format and if you refer to them using that you won't be looking in the right place (a broken link = !).

turingtest2 article: Make a split library portable - https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-7392

You need to be very literal when reading computer things. The instructions for preferences have to do with "media" which many people misread as "library". Changing preferences tells iTunes where to start storing the media portion of the library from that point on, and optionally lets you relocate where old media are located, but media are only part of a library. I don't know how the other things ended up on the external but as you said you may have put them there yourself.

Here is how one normally relocates a library:

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

When this is to a new computer put the copied iTunes folder in the default location of Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music (or Home > Music) then you don't even need to start with the option key held down, iTunes will automatically look for it there. (Make sure there isn't anything already in the iTunes folder there that you want to keep since you will be replacing it with the one you are moving.) Remember to authorize the computer in iTunes to your Apple ID if you use this to sync to Apple mobile devices or play DRM protected media (e.g., movies).

Certain items used in iTunes related activities are not stored in the iTunes library folder but in special folders. If you are moving a library to a different computer you may wish to copy these too:

- Apple Music cache files: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2015/09/new-flush-apple-music-cache-files/

- iOS device backups, various preferences files: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3285925

Rolled back my Macbook by 3 months with TimeMachine .. now iTunes out of sync with external library. How to solve?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.