Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restart or shut down MacBook Pro because Preview won't close

Hello,

I can't restart or shut down my MacBook Pro. I think it's because Preview is open and won't close. I tried Force Quit but it still refuses to close.

Preview itself does not work either, I cannot open any files with the application. Instead a window opens saying: "The application “Preview” is not open anymore." or nothing happens.

(There were some applications I wanted to update but they require a system reboot and it is not possible now because of Preview...😟)

Does anyone know how I should go about fixing this problem?

(I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2012, OS X Yosemite, version 10.10.3

The Preview application is version 8.0)

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:58 AM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:09 AM in response to sarfromswe

It may just be a wonky preference in your User Library. Here are a few more ways to "force-quit"

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/how-to-force-quit-mac-os-x/

If you can quit the app, then follow these directions to rebuild the pref...

The User Library (~Library is hidden in Yosemite). To make it unhidden, In Finder> “Go” menu> choose “Home”. Then under “View” menu choose “Show View Options” Then, at the bottom the settings list, check the box “Show Library Folder”. In that Library folder the is a preference file named "com.apple.Preview.plist". Delete it and then log out and back

Nov 30, 2015 10:20 AM in response to sarfromswe

I'd go for the "force shutdown" option. Your OS should be OK as Mac's are very robust, but don't do it too often.

1) Hold the Power Button down until the Mac goes off. It could take a few seconds

2) Reboot your Mac

This will be a brand new restart, but I would try Preview again and then see if you can Force Quit it. If not then there could be a more permanent issue rather than a blip which is what I think this is.

Cheers

Nick

Cannot restart or shut down MacBook Pro because Preview won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.