Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

el capital not backing time machine

Last Wednesday I installed el Capitan on my 2 TB iMac, circa 2011. Since the update time machine has not backed up. I am using a time capsule 2 TB also circa 2011 to backup the hard drive. It is connected to the computer via my google fiber router, both are hardwired into the google fiber router.

Usually it gets stuck in the "Preparing Backup" stage. I read on the apple support website that this can cause the backup to proceed more slowly than normal but we are pushing 12 hours of "Preparing Backup" so I'm thinking that it is not just a slow running backup.

It seems like other people have had this problem but there have not been any good solutions I can find.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you all in advance.

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:52 AM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to CrazyJoeMD

Unfortunately, you have no choice but to allow "Preparing" to continue. Each time that you stop the process......if that is what you have been doing.....it will take that much longer the next time you try another backup, so avoid stopping the process if possible.

It would really help speed the process (by 3-5 times faster on average) if you could connect your Mac to the Time Capsule using a direct wired Ethernet cable connection. Connect from a Mac to one of the three LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule.

If you must use wireless, locate the Mac very close to the Time Capsule.

Nov 30, 2015 11:36 AM in response to CrazyJoeMD

2011 TC should be a gen4.

How much data do you have backed up already.. ie how much disk space is available on the TC and how much is needed by the backup??

Your TM is probably attempting to clear enough space to do the backup.

I would recommend the following.

1. Stop the current backup.

2. Clear the disk of the TC by archiving off the existing backup (you will need a USB disk of adequate size).. erase TC and start over with a full factory reset of the TC. Keep all the names short no spaces and pure alphanumerics. Ensure you have wireless off in the computer and set IPv6 to link-local only. Then do the backup.. if it still takes ages to prepare it is caused by the disk in the computer and it should be verified from recovery partition.

3. Buy a suitable USB drive.. I would recommend 4TB as they give you the best value per GB.. plug it into the iMac and use that for your TM backup target.

It is faster and cheaper and much more reliable than backup to TC in the network.

4. Use Carbon Copy Cloner (or Chronosync) in conjunction with the USB drive to make a bootable clone of your drive. CCC is more reliable and more flexible than Time Machine.

On a 2011 iMac USB 2 ports could be improved by buying a thunderbolt hub (See the OWC model for around $250) and use a USB3 disk..

el capital not backing time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.