Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record the sounds ONLY ON THE SCREEN SIDE on my MacBook Air.

I am making a tutorial using keynote. I need to have sound as though I am listening to music while recording. I need them to HEAR THE MUSIC IM PLAYING AT THAT MOMENT. But I don't want them to hear, say, my friend talking to me. So if i'm recording while listening to iTunes, I need them to hear the song on iTunes.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Quicktime

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 9:01 AM

7 replies

Dec 14, 2015 2:43 PM in response to DaDiamondSwordz

I think you need to list exactly what sound files you are trying to playback in Keynote as I have difficulty understanding what is going on in your project.

I don't think its a complicated issue, however the terminology used by Apple to describe functions is confusing, for example the word "recording" is used in three types of functions.

I need to have sound as though I am listening to music while recording.

I want to record the music on the keynote

I already have the song in the keynote.

According to the above, you have been able to add this music from iTunes which is playing in Keynote.

Is this correct or is there other music your trying to add?

if i'm recording while listening to iTunes

I am recording also with QuickTime.

What are you recoding with QuickTime, a voice over, additional music or are you trying to "record" builds or transition timing using Play > Record Slideshow ?

Dec 14, 2015 4:23 PM in response to Gary Scotland

OK, so, I made a keynote. I want to record the presentation that has the keynote in "play" mode. I know how to do that, very simple. But I have a song already on the keynote. But while I record, even though I play the song, I can't hear it after I play the video I recorded. It is very annoying and I need to hear the song on the video WHILE I record.

Dec 20, 2015 6:45 AM in response to DaDiamondSwordz

while I record, even though I play the song, I can't hear it

You are recording a narration (voice over) or you are recording advance to next slide using Play > Record Slideshow?

I need to hear the song on the video WHILE I record.

You will need to plugin headphones to listen to the music playback, if you allow speakers to play the music back, the music will be picked up by the mic and cause feedback resulting in howel or echo in the recording.

check system sound settings in: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Sound > Output (select headphones)

User uploaded file

How to record the sounds ONLY ON THE SCREEN SIDE on my MacBook Air.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.