Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung 850 Evo mid 2011 mbp installation?

I know there are a lot of discussions about this ssd with mac already but i cant seem to find the answer that i need.

So i bought this ssd aswell as 16gb ram to upgrade my sluggish mbp a bit, just tried installing it today and cant seem to work out how to do it. I put in the ssd installation disc and i cant get any further to step 1. The installation is showing up as a .exe file which obvious i cannot open. I've tried looking online for the osx version of this but cannot find it. Im wanting to just to a data swap from my old hdd onto this ssd, ive bought the external sata to usb cable. am i missing something? How do i actually get my mbp to recognise my ssd to begin with? I've never done this before.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 9:01 AM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:36 AM in response to aaron.bs

You can see the physical installation process by viewing the appropriate video from this selection. But before you install the SSD, connect it via the external sata to usb cable and use Disk Utility on the internal to create one new partition on the SSD with a GUID Partition Table and a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Then you can use the Restore function to clone your internal to the SSD, test it to see if you can boot from it, then use the video instructions to actually install it.

There are also video instructions at that link for installing the RAM.

Nov 30, 2015 10:52 AM in response to aaron.bs

Let me first say that there have been some problems with Samsung EVO 850 SSDs as well as successes. Note that Samsung does not mention compatibility with Mac on their web site for this SSD.

Install the SSD into and enclosure and connect it to your MBP.

Open Disk Utility>Erase and format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The use Disk Utility>Restore and choose the internal HDD as the SOURCE and the SSD as the DESTINATION.This may take a while depending upon how much data must be copied.

When completed, restart the MBP with the OPTION key. It should display the SSD. Click on it and if it boots tha MBP, make the physical swap with the HDD.

Ciao.

Samsung 850 Evo mid 2011 mbp installation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.