Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) - when to upgrade?

2.66 GHz Intel Core i5

16 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (full capacity)

Internal drive is original and will die any day…

Should I upgrade (PITA to get to) hard drive with an SSD SATA 3 (no point in SATA 6 and it might not even WORK in this older model). Just system and apps on it. I still use the CDR drive so, will keep that.

But, it would still have the old core 5 and slower memory and Firewire 2 (which, is OK since, have a couple of those drives still working).

Not sure what I would gain. I wish I could swap out the processor!

What I really want is a Mac Pro - but they cost too much.

I am not a fan of Apple iMac LED screens. Too bright. Only want a not all in one so I can choose a monitor of my own.

Even a similar (or better tricked out) iMac is out of my budget.

The Mini options are too weak.
What I need is something like a Mac Pro and Mac Mini blended. A mid level, professional model used by graphic designers and photographers. Maybe, rarely, if ever, video editing. Probably none.

What are Apple users to do?

My budget is $1000. Can Joni please make a super Mac Mini with multi cores and allow me to add in RAM myself? Plus, a better internal hard drive. Not a laptop type. Maybe a fusion or all SSD? I would buy my own keyboard (that chicklet one is terrible for productivity) and I prefer the mighty mouse form factor over that sharp edged meat slicer mouse. I am not alone…

iMac (27-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:21 AM

3 replies

Oct 27, 2017 4:22 PM in response to Ataraxy01

Hmmm...

I have the same iMac year and model as you with only the i3 CPU and 16 GBs of RAM.

I have quite a bit of third party software installed on my iMac, as well.

My 2009 iMac is STILL purring right along.

My internal HD has been dying, as well.

I am running my 2009 iMac, now from an externally enclosed FW800 480 GBs SSD.

This SSD really feels really fast and snappy over FW800, and exceeds the top end of FW800 data transfer rate by about 10%.

There's no perceptible delay and still feels like I’m running my iMac from the internal drive and not from an external connection.

It's gotta be because SSDs have no moving parts to slow data transfers down.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) - when to upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.