Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i recently bought a used mini, 2009 model i believe, and can't run it almost at all without it freezing up.

Ive checked for software updates and there are none available. It seems to be completely unused, that is what the seller said as well. Any help would be appreciated

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:31 AM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2015 2:41 AM in response to dave4227

If the computer is freezing up, then it needs some diagnostic testing and perhaps service.

It may start up OK in Safe mode, then you may be able to try testing to see if the hard

disk drive is too full for the system to function, among other items. It also may have issues

due to age; as hard disk drives fail. Resolve the problem before trying to hide the trouble.

If the computer was equipped with an install-restore DVD for the same system running in it,

that could be used as a boot disc, to try & repair the hard drive; at some point. You could

also erase and reformat the hard drive, if you have all of the correct software to restore it

completely; if not, then you should seek the install media discs to best restore software.

(And test the hardware for potential causes of trouble, such as worn HDD, etc.)

Then, if the problems are worked out, and the computer repaired to working order, it may

be able to be upgraded to a newer OS X. If it didn't include OS X 10.6. on retail DVD, that

retail install disc is about $20 purchase from online Apple Store. Then, it may be able to

find 'update' via the Software Update selection under Apple Menu, to 10.6.8 as download.

The unit may be in need of a RAM upgrade, plus a new larger capacity hard drive. And

the clock battery may be worn out, too.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

i recently bought a used mini, 2009 model i believe, and can't run it almost at all without it freezing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.