Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMovie library is empty but huge!

I am on a 2010 iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5, with 500gb of memory and iMovie 10.

I got a message saying that my hard disc was full. On investigation I was surprised to find that my iMovie library accounted for half of my hard drive use. I have been trawling though the questions on the community about how iMovie 10 works and the problems people have been having and found some good stuff. As a result I have moved videos using Finder onto an external drive. In iMovie I have moved everything out of the iMovie library into trash. That has freed up a bit of space although I fear that the space problem will just reoccur when I reload the videos in iMovie. Having done all that iMovie Library is still using 234gb of memory and I can't see what is in it - when I go into iMovie Library in iMovie and click on "All clips" there is nothing there. Finder doesn't show me what is in the iMovie Library, it just tells you how many gb it is using.

So I have two questions please:

1. How can I find out what is in my iMovie library?

2. How can I then move it somewhere else to free up hard disc space?

Advice gratefully received!

David

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:36 AM

"In iMovie I have moved everything out of the iMovie library into trash" What exactly did you move and how?

To see what is in your iMovie library right-click on it and select "show package contents". The 'original media folders contain your raw clips and stills. Don't change anything in it with the Finder though, only using iMovie.

If you upgraded from iMovie 9 you may still have iMovieprojects and imovieevents folders under <user> / Movies. Any original media in both imMvie 9 and iMovie 10 folders and libraries will only be deleted when both are deleted.

iMovie creates a lot of additional files and eventually anyone doing a significant amount of video editing finds it necessary put their library(ies) on an external drive.

Geoff.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 10:36 AM in response to DavidO198

"In iMovie I have moved everything out of the iMovie library into trash" What exactly did you move and how?

To see what is in your iMovie library right-click on it and select "show package contents". The 'original media folders contain your raw clips and stills. Don't change anything in it with the Finder though, only using iMovie.

If you upgraded from iMovie 9 you may still have iMovieprojects and imovieevents folders under <user> / Movies. Any original media in both imMvie 9 and iMovie 10 folders and libraries will only be deleted when both are deleted.

iMovie creates a lot of additional files and eventually anyone doing a significant amount of video editing finds it necessary put their library(ies) on an external drive.

Geoff.

Nov 30, 2015 2:00 PM in response to GeeD

Thanks Geoff.

In iMovie I dragged clips from the IMovie library to trash until the library was empty.

I don't get an option of package contents when I right click.......The Reveal in Finder option doesn't add anything. As you can see on the screen shots below the system is not making it easy.......

system User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I have moved original clips out of Events and onto an external drive.

I would put things on an external drive if I knew what was there and how to do it even though it puts it out of reach of my cloud back up. Do you know where I can find instructions to do that?

David

Nov 30, 2015 2:37 PM in response to DavidO198

"In iMovie I dragged clips from the IMovie library to trash until the library was empty." Ah! then you will only have deleted your original media but all the other files in your events will still be present. You need to select an event and choose "Move to Trash"

If you right (command) - click on the film icon you should see:

User uploaded file

Show package contents (in list view showing folder sizes) gives:

User uploaded file

(My iMovie library is quite small since I don't use iMovie any more).

"I would put things on an external drive if I knew what was there and how to do it even though it puts it out of reach of my cloud back up. Do you know where I can find instructions to do that?" How to put libraries on an external drive is described in the help files at: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

I assume you are paying for extra iCloud backup space - you will need quite a lot for video stuff. I don't use it myself but I don't think you need to be limited to backing up files from your boot drive.

I see that you do have iMovie Projects and iMovie Events folders left over from iMovie 9 or earlier. These may also be quite large and can be deleted if you are done with iMovie 9 and have transferred any projects and events that you still want to work on to iMovie 10.

Geoff.

Dec 2, 2015 2:06 PM in response to GeeD

Geoff

Given my level of technical expertise I was feeling quite pleased with myself until I hit a wall!

Your advice was great. The Projects and Events folders are relatively small - it is just IMovie Library that is enormous.

I went out today and got a monster 2TB external drive for all the movie stuff. My plan was to put everything to do with movies on the new drive so I could clear the libraries on my hard drive and save space.

I got the drive set up (a bit of battle as the machine froze so I had to turn it off and on again), created a folder for all the old videos that I plan to edit and copied all my old videos into it.

In IMovie I set up a new Library on the external drive and it showed up on Finder - although that was probably simple I was pleased! The iMovie help made it all sound so simple so I imported one video to the new library as a test and it worked fine. Then, for some reason it refused to import any more videos at all either singly or in multiples either by importing, dragging or copying and pasting files in Finder So I now have two libraries in iMovie - one with a lot of videos and one with just 1 video. Is that confusing the machine? Should I delete the old one? I am nervous as I don't really know what is in it apart from 230gb of something! Is there something I have missed?

Thanks

David

Dec 4, 2015 1:48 AM in response to DavidO198

You can have as many libraries as you like wherever you like, it will not confuse iMovie.

I'm not quite clear what you are doing. The easiest way to move things into a new library is to copy or move complete events into the new library. If you are using iMovie 10.1 you need to copy projects as well (previous versions included them into events).

If you are importing raw video clips from the folder you created on the new drive you should be able to navigate to it in the import window and select the event you want to put them in.

User uploaded file

" it refused to import any more videos at all either singly or in multiples either by importing, dragging or copying and pasting files in Finder"

Can you explain exactly what is happening?

Geoff.

Dec 4, 2015 1:48 AM in response to GeeD

Geoff

With a fresh look I noticed a box at the top of the Import Screen asking where to Import videos, having clicked on the right place it is now working.

What is rather more bizarre is that the iMovie folder on my hard drive has halved in size for no apparent reason. Hopefully something that I have done rather than an uninvited visitor using my machine....!

So for now I will bumble along. I have got 25% of my hard disc free which feels comfortable, I have left the source videos on the hard drive so I have the comfort that they are being backed up to a remote site and I have got a shed load of external storage as well.

Crisis? What crisis :-)

Thank you for your help and support. Is there some way I can "score" you on the system?

David

Nov 27, 2016 6:55 AM in response to DavidO198

I'd like to follow up on this question as well. I have the same issue. When I received a warning that my MacBook Air HD was nearly full I opened the documents folder to see what was taking up so much space. iMovie Library was the biggest culprit. However, when I looked at the document it is simply a blank-page doc. The question is: What happens if I simply drag that blank document into the trash? Will I lose all the movies on the HD? My concern is that many of the movies are stored in my DropBox which is on the HD.

Thanks

David

Nov 27, 2016 8:41 AM in response to DAGNYC

I don't know why your library doesn't have the icon I posted but you can see that it is 5.53 GB in size and certainly not empty. If you right click on it and select 'show package contents' you will see all your events and projects folders - but don't change anything. If you throw it away you will loose everything in it!

Geoff.

My iMovie library is empty but huge!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.