Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under "Family Sharing", can you set up "ask to buy" to trigger ONLY when a child's account balance goes to zero and they therefore need to use my credit card?

We just set up Family Sharing. For reasons that are unclear (and somewhat negative, IMHO), Apple requires my children to have a credit card associated with their Apple ID's. I would prefer that this was NOT the case, but I can't figure out how to get around it.

From this point forward, the intent is that the kids can and will put their own money in their own accounts using iTunes cards. Before they are at a zero balance, I don't want to be involved in every purchase they make using their own money (they are late teens, but not 18 yet). I only want a request to come to me when they are actually out of their own money and want to use my credit card.

Here's the question: Can I set "ask to buy" *only* to trigger a request to me when the kids actually drive their own account balances to zero and need to charge to my credit card?

As it stands now, they are either On or Off for "ask to buy", whether they have a positive balance or not. I'd like that in-between situation. Can it be set up?

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:22 AM

1 reply

Under "Family Sharing", can you set up "ask to buy" to trigger ONLY when a child's account balance goes to zero and they therefore need to use my credit card?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.