Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open recent file, a clear menu box appears. How do i get to the recent doc.s?

When i try to open recent doc.s a clear menu box appears. how do i get back to the recent files?

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:24 PM

It's possible you accidentally clear the recent items menu by selecting the menu item "File > Open Recent > Clear Menu":

User uploaded file

If thesis the case then the menu will repopulate as you open files using any of the following:

- creating a new document and saving it

- double clicking a Numbers files in the Finder

- selecting a Numbers document while using the Numbers menu item "File > Open…"

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 1:24 PM in response to ey999

It's possible you accidentally clear the recent items menu by selecting the menu item "File > Open Recent > Clear Menu":

User uploaded file

If thesis the case then the menu will repopulate as you open files using any of the following:

- creating a new document and saving it

- double clicking a Numbers files in the Finder

- selecting a Numbers document while using the Numbers menu item "File > Open…"

Nov 30, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Wayne Contello

Thanks for your help. From finder i opened a document, duplicated it and renamed it. This should have repopulated the recent files, but the problem still exists. the only way i can open files is through finder. When i click "open " in the file menu the "i cloud upgrade box" appears. Can this be the source of the problem?

Dec 1, 2015 10:20 AM in response to ey999

ey999 wrote:

When i click "open " in the file menu the "i cloud upgrade box" appears. Can this be the source of the problem?

What is the iCloud message you are getting? (If it's not trying to sell you extra storage space then it may well be something you would want to do so Numbers can run smoothly.)

SG

Dec 11, 2015 2:19 AM in response to ey999

I'm having the same problem - in pages, numbers and keynote. I think it's supposed to be fixed in 'system preferences' - 'general' - see where it says 'recent items' towards the bottom. But when I change it to '10', it does not save this change and reverts to 'none' every time. This has only started happening recently. Any advice appreciated! User uploaded file

Nov 29, 2016 7:00 AM in response to ey999

I'm having this issue too. I think it started when I tried to open a file and got a message that it was corrupted. Now, no matter how many sheets I open, when I click File/Open Recent, I always only see the option to "Clear Menu." When I right-click on the Numbers icon, I do see my recent list.

can't open recent file, a clear menu box appears. How do i get to the recent doc.s?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.