Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am not techie and worry about updating to el captain as I am not sure if I have the knowledge to fix any problems there maybe

I am not techie and worry about updating to el captain as I am sure I do not have the knowledge to fix any problems that there maybe.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:39 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2015 2:10 PM in response to helen harper

There is no obligation to install a newer OSX unless you have an application(s) that require it. By the same token, it does not mean that one should not install a newer OSX since there may be desirable features that one may like and use. Certainly the final decision is yours.

Yes, there may be some compatibility problems installing a newer OSX, but be aware that if you encounter such, there is assistance available on these forums that will help you to resolve such potential problems. You are not alone.

Ciao.

Nov 30, 2015 5:50 PM in response to helen harper

There are some steps you should take before upgrading to the current version of OS X.

First, please run Software Update or the App Store and install all available updates for the OS you have now. The system should be in good working order. Don't expect an OS upgrade to fix a computer that is abnormally slow or unstable. More likely, the upgrade will make the problem worse.

If you have less than 4 GB of memory, as shown in the About This Mac box, and your model has upgradable memory, install at least that much, or preferably the maximum amount the machine can use according to Apple's specifications. If the memory is not upgradable, or if you don't want to upgrade it, defer using a newer version of OS X until you decide to buy a new computer.

If you've already upgraded the memory, check the specifications to make sure that the memory is compatible, both as to type and capacity. Never install more memory than the model officially supports. Aftermarket memory vendors may contradict Apple's specifications because they want to sell memory. Their assurances that you can exceed the specs are not to be trusted. Even if out-of-spec memory has been working, it may not work after the OS upgrade, or you may not be able to upgrade at all.

Check that all your most important third-party software is up to date and compatible with the current OS X. Very old versions of Microsoft and Adobe applications, for example, may not be compatible. The developer's website is the best source for that information. Incompatible third-party software is the cause of almost all problems with OS X upgrades.

Finally, back up all data, and be sure you know how to restore if the results of the upgrade are not to your liking.

If you have a spare storage device with enough capacity, you can copy the startup volume to it in Disk Utility, then start up from it and upgrade. Then, if you don't like the results, all you have to do is change the setting in the Startup Disk preference pane and restart. For details, search the built-in help of Disk Utility for the term "duplicate."

Nov 30, 2015 6:22 PM in response to helen harper

Read Upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

Assuming that you are already in the habit of routinely backing up your system you can evaluate El Capitan at no risk and at no cost. If you do not routinely back up your system, you should. Obtain an external USB, FireWire, or Thunderbolt hard disk drive for your Mac, then download and install El Capitan on it. You can choose to start your Mac from that disk or the internal one using Startup Manager (hold an option key while you start your Mac), and evaluate El Capitan at no risk whatsoever to your existing installation. Just be sure to designate the proper installation location for El Capitan when you get to that installation step.

Running OS X from an external USB hard disk won't be as fast as the Mac's internal one, but it will be sufficient to draw conclusions regarding its suitability for your needs.

An external hard disk drive of adequate capacity can be purchased for well under $100 - much less than the cost of some previous OS X upgrades themselves. When you satisfy yourself that El Capitan works for you, then "clone" the external disk's contents to your internal one, and use the external disk for backup purposes — which you ought to be doing anyway.

I am not techie and worry about updating to el captain as I am not sure if I have the knowledge to fix any problems there maybe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.