Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lacie not found on desk top or finder

I have had my lacie drive for 2 or 3 years. It started to get a bad connection and then disappeared form the desktop altogether. More worryingly, it wasn't appearing in disk utility. I phoned support, reset the PMR, pulled out the power cable and reattached as advised. Still nothing. I was advised to order a new cable. The new Thunderbolt cable came and it will now power up. However, it has lost its partitions and appears in disk utility as a SAT drive without the original name. When I try to partition it says it is not journaled. It will repair under first aid but still doesn't change.

Can anyone help.? This contains all my music and photos.

I am running OS Capitan.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 12:09 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2015 1:14 PM in response to simon74

If and when you try to repair a failed hard drive, and need to recover data that is lost, or

inaccessible to your computer, you could not expect recover data after partition or reformat.

The recovery is only made more difficult, if the content has been tagged to be overwritten

or has been overwritten by use of a utility; while the hard drive may have failed or damage

to sectors, partition-destructive processes should be avoided until after other methods have

been exhausted. Get another hard disk drive to use, to store whatever may be recovered.

Different file types can be sometimes recovered even if the format of the hard drive has

gone bad, since some utilities can search and locate file types themselves. Given newer

developments in OS X and OS, older cross-platform methods of file recovery may not be

as viable; some require a learning curve because they do not use a simple GUI...

• TestDisk - Partition Recovery and File Undelete:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

• PhotoRec - Digital Picture and File Recovery:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

These two can be used together, they can be customized to find certain file types, & can

be used to recover data from otherwise compromised or partially failed storage drives.

But you cannot use the failed drive or use reformat utilities to attempt to make new partitions

or re-write over old content to try & fix the drive, since that can damage lost content further.

Certainly there are retail recovery products that may do very well, so if you find instructions

for the above two difficult, their methods do require attention to detail, try ProSoft's utility.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Nov 30, 2015 4:10 PM in response to simon74

Another idea may be to check to see if the enclosure itself has failed;

in which case, the hard disk drive inside would be inaccessible, or only

partially accessed as may be the case when the circuit board or cable

inside the enclosure, or power supply, has only partially failed.

To remove the internal hard drive from the LaCie enclosure and attach

a universal USB drive kit (wire kit with its own power adapter) to check

and test the bare drive outside of the enclosure. Several brands exist.

An example of 'universal USB drive cable kit' can be seen here at OWC:

Universal drive adapter USB - by newertech:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/

Some users of the LaCie brand had certain issues with enclosures, so

perhaps you've one of those who have an enclosure fail; if that's all it

is, the drive inside may have been OK before trying to fix it w/ utilities.

Good luck in this matter... 😐

lacie not found on desk top or finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.