Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes slow and unresponsive

Ever since I updated my iTunes to 12.3.1 on my Windows 7 laptop it has been extremely slow and unresponsive. Once I click on a song to play or upload it takes literally a minute or two (sometimes longer) before I can click on anything else and iTunes shows as unresponsive during this time. I tried uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling but the same issue persists(albeit when I reinstalled my full library was already there so I am not sure I uninstalled/reinstalled properly). The slowness is extremely frustrating and I am contemplating just jacking iTunes and using another media platform. Can anyone help?

Windows 7

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:29 PM

1 reply

Dec 9, 2015 5:19 PM in response to bazero

Just know that you're not alone. 12.3.1 has been a total disaster for many, apparently on both Mac and Windows.

Itunes not responding, running extremely slow

It's been a month and a half and Apple refuses to even confirm that they broke something in the 12.3.1 update (meaning don't expect Apple support to be of any help on this - they'll send you down 10 different time-wasting rat holes, knowing full well these won't fix what the iTunes team broke), much less fix it (and when they do finally fix it, it will be with no acknowledgement of all the time and frustration caused by their total galling unresponsiveness to the crippling bug that they injected into their own ecosystem-core application).

The only viable solution that I have read involves downloading an earlier version of iTunes from an unverified sources, deleting files via Terminal, installing the unverified, non-current version of this critical software and hoping nothing breaks during the downgrade, and then disabling auto-update to prevent both a) the sure return of a known, verified, repeatable, major bug, and b) any ability to take advantage of future iTunes updates if a real fix isn't addressed and incorporated in the iTunes code base going forward. And that's on the Mac side - not quite sure how that mess of a hack would even translate over to Windows.

itunes slow and unresponsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.