Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge 2 computers

HI folks,

I've serched the the knowledge base but can't find a definitive answer.

The wife and I have our own laptops (MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air). We are buying a family iMac now the kids need to use a computer for school.

The question is how do we merge our 2 computers together on 1? Do we just use Migration assistant twice? We want to end up with 1 Applications folder, 1 System library folder and our 2 separate user accounts (we can add the kids accounts after).

regards,

Adam

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 15.4 in Hi Res 2.3 GHz i7 8GB 500GB

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:21 PM

Just use Migration Assistant and migrate only the users you want from each computer.

You could migrate a system folder/settings from one of the computers then migrate only the user account from the other

4 replies

Nov 30, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Adamskiodp

I believe that Migration Assistant will only work if all machines are using the same OS. Since your new iMac will come with Yosemite installed, you will have to do the migration in a more creative way. When you get your new machine, you can pay the Apple Store to merge all data (I think about $95 to do this), or call Apple Support and they will walk you through the process.

Merge 2 computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.