Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to buy a software to burn a movie w. an external DVD unit ??.

I bought a new Mac 13 Retina display. I already installed El Capitan OS. The new iMovie does´t allow me to burn the movie already edited using an external DVD unit.

Do I need to buy a software to burn DVD´s ??. Which is the best software compatible w. El Capitan and especially with iMovie ??

Best regards,

Fernando

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:06 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Fernando Armirola

Yes, you will need iDVD.

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

Dec 1, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Fernando Armirola

Export the slideshow out of iMovie as a QT movie file via the File ➙ Share ➙ File menu option. . Select 540p.

Open iDVD, select a theme and drag the exported QT movie file into the open iDVD window being careful to avoid any drop zones.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best quality video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

User uploaded file

Do I need to buy a software to burn a movie w. an external DVD unit ??.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.