Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I "revert to" and attempt to "Browse All Versions", I get the error message "There was a problem connecting to the server. URLs with the type "file:" are not supported." Help! I need that previous version of my document!

I have checked my internet connection, tried from both my iPad and my Mac, and nothing works to revert to my previous version. As a matter of fact, attempting it on my iPad froze it so badly I had to do a hard reset.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:24 PM

8 replies

Nov 30, 2015 6:27 PM in response to JBofromFL

My title didn't post; my apologies... I am attempting to revert back to a previous version of a Pages document, and I have followed the directions to "Revert To" and "Browse All Versions". However, I continually get an error message saying "There was a problem connecting to the server. URLs with the type "file:" are not supported." As mentioned on my original post, I have checked my internet connection and tried from both my iPad and my Mac without success.

Nov 30, 2015 6:43 PM in response to JBofromFL

Where is the original document located: 1) boot drive, 2) iCloud, 3) Non-Apple Cloud Service (e.g. Amazon, Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft, etc.), 4) OS X Server, 5) Windows Server, 6) Network Attached Storage (NAS)?

The Pages Revert To solution is designed to work on the local drive, or iCloud. If you attempt to save a document a second time on a remotely mounted AppleShare Volume, for instance, you will be warned by Pages that the document is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage. You will not be able to access older versions of this document once you close it. Got that from my Synology DiskStation NAS.

When I "revert to" and attempt to "Browse All Versions", I get the error message "There was a problem connecting to the server. URLs with the type "file:" are not supported." Help! I need that previous version of my document!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.