Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 thunderbolt display is not working

Hi,

I'm trying to set up the following configuration:

I have 2 mac computers:

• Mac Mini (Late 2014; 2,6 GHz Intel Core i5; Intel Iris 5100 1536Mb) with Windows 10 (Home) installed through the Boot Camp
  • iMac 27'' (Late 2013; 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4Gb) with OS X El Capitan installed

I want to use the iMac as a display for the Mac mini, but it seems that thunderbolt display is not working (I can't switch to Windows 10 by pressing Cmd+F2)

Could you please help to solve this issue?

Regards,

Dmitry

Mac mini, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 1:33 PM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2015 1:52 PM in response to karuniko

Please see Use your iMac as a display with Target Display Mode - Apple Support and Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2: Keeps reappearing and Thunderbolt ports and Target Display Mode may not work - Apple Su… .

If Command-F2 doesn't work

If your iMac doesn't switch to Target Display Mode when you press Command-F2, check these things:

• Make sure the iMac you're trying to use as a display supports Target Display Mode.
  • Make sure you're pressing Command-F2 on the keyboard that's connected to the iMac you want to use as a display.
  • In Keyboard System Preferences, if the checkbox is enabled for Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard functions keys, the key combination changes to Command-Fn-F2.
  • Make sure your Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt cable is connected to both computers.
  • If you're currently logged in on the iMac you want to use as a display, try logging out to return to the login window. Then press Command-F2 again.
  • Some older Apple keyboards and third-party keyboards might not allow Command-F2 to toggle display modes. If this happens, use the keyboard that came with your iMac to toggle Target Display Mode on and off.
  • If your iMac is currently started up in Windows, it won't enter Target Display Mode. Target Display Mode isn't supported in Boot Camp.

Nov 30, 2015 9:02 PM in response to Loner T

Hi,

I went through provided checklist, but all in vain.

The iMac is Late 2013 so, it should support the Target Display Mode

Moreover, I've updated either of macs to El Capitan and if I boot my Mac Mini in El Capitan I do have Target Display Mode (Command - F2 is available).

When my Mac mini is running on Windows 10 I cannot switch to it with use of Command-F2.

Regards,

Dmitry

Nov 30, 2015 9:48 PM in response to karuniko

karuniko wrote:

When my Mac mini is running on Windows 10 I cannot switch to it with use of Command-F2.

This is not supported. From the linked article...

If your iMac is currently started up in Windows, it won't enter Target Display Mode. Target Display Mode isn't supported in Boot Camp.

It is also not supported in Windows, as there are no drivers to support. TDM works in OSX-to-OSX only case.

Windows 10 thunderbolt display is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.