Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple tv4 Siri and remote control app

3 members of my family are returning Apple tv4 because it does not work with remote control app. Apple is promoting Siri, which is good but it does not work with people with accent. Any one has any idea how to better use apple tv4? Thank you.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), iphones 5s

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 2:23 PM

Get rid of the accent.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 😀

Siri on ATV4 is rather basic in its functionality and reliability in terms of understanding people. Apple is working on it to bring it to more countries and to more people. Siri on ATV4 is a totally new Siri. It's not using the same databases as the "old" Siri we all know from our iDevices. It will take Apple some time to bring ATV4-Siri up to speed. For now you have only two choices: Return the ATV4 if you're not happy with it's current functionality, or wait for updates to tvOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 2:23 PM in response to ivanich

Get rid of the accent.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 😀

Siri on ATV4 is rather basic in its functionality and reliability in terms of understanding people. Apple is working on it to bring it to more countries and to more people. Siri on ATV4 is a totally new Siri. It's not using the same databases as the "old" Siri we all know from our iDevices. It will take Apple some time to bring ATV4-Siri up to speed. For now you have only two choices: Return the ATV4 if you're not happy with it's current functionality, or wait for updates to tvOS.

Nov 30, 2015 4:47 PM in response to bigschwabbel

I apreciate your answer but it does not help me at all. I knew that already. Problem with Siri is that even my american friends born here, get about 90-95% hit and 5-10% missed. People with accent, they have no chanse. I have a law degree, graduated from a US law school and Siri pickup only about 50% which is totally unacceptable and therefore unusable. I just can't imagine how a company like Apple can release something like apple tv4 without working remote control app. That exclude all no Native American speakers as users and I don't know exact number but they are many, many, many.

Nov 30, 2015 6:09 PM in response to ivanich

ivanich wrote:

I apreciate your answer but it does not help me at all. I knew that already. Problem with Siri is that even my american friends born here, get about 90-95% hit and 5-10% missed. People with accent, they have no chanse. I have a law degree, graduated from a US law school and Siri pickup only about 50% which is totally unacceptable and therefore unusable. I just can't imagine how a company like Apple can release something like apple tv4 without working remote control app. That exclude all no Native American speakers as users and I don't know exact number but they are many, many, many.

I think you're expecting more from the voice recognition technology that it can possibly deliver at the point. If the Siri is set to recognize English (American), it's going to best recognize speech that is closest to American Standard pronunciation (think national network newscaster). Any deviation from that is going to decrease recognition. And not just for non-native speakers. Native English speakers in the U.S. have a wide range of types and degrees of accents. Some of those people have difficulty with Siri as well.

Regardless of you ability to use Siri or lack thereof, no one is being "excluded". The ATV 4 has a functional remote, even without Siri. In fact, in many countries, the ATV doesn't have Siri. The ATV 4 can also use other remotes, including the remote from the previous models.

Apple tv4 Siri and remote control app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.