Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reinstall or update itunes

I have been trying to update iTunes and have been unsuccessful. I am running Windows 8. I have contacted iTunes support and the were unable to help I even spoke with a higher level tech and they gave me a case number which I can no longer find. I have contacted Microsoft and they told me since it is not their software it is not their problem but we will charge you a bunch of money to look at it. Here is the error I continue to get upon trying to update/re-install...... Really would like to get this resolved!!!User uploaded file

Windows 8

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 3:02 PM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 3:04 PM in response to xxctww

Try repairing and then removing Apple Software Update first, then try updating iTunes again.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Nov 30, 2015 6:05 PM in response to turingtest2

TThe iTunes techs already had me do all of that with the results still coming up the same, it doesn't work! They had me remove every folder and every trace of iTunes and other media on my computer. We downloaded the link to re-install iTunes The same thing happens, no go. I wish I still had the ticket number for this case so you could see exactly what we did. The techs had me do everything while they watched logged in to my computer. These solutions do not work.

Dec 1, 2015 7:22 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry frustrated and venting. I had apple tech support call me and spend about 2 or more hours on the phone with them. No, I do not have AppleCare. Here is a screen shot of where it gets before it gives me the error message.... I am actually running Windows7 x64. I have second laptop with Windows7 x32 and the update went through just fine. I am checking out the missing component piece now.User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2015 7:46 AM in response to xxctww

If Apple Software Update is still listed in the programs and features control panel then the Microsoft Fixit referred to in note 1 below the second box in my user tip might work to clean it out.

Ah, our posts crossed. Glad to hear you got there in the end. 🙂

I was interested in how you initiated contact with the support team? All the evidence I get suggests Apple aren't interested in providing phone support for iTunes and I'm wondering what to recommend to people when none of my advice works.

tt2

Cannot reinstall or update itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.