Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set decimal tab in a column of cells

I have a table with three columns (and seven rows).

The last column is for currency, and I want to set a decimal tab to align the decimal in the vertical cells.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:16 PM

You format the C (third column) cell data format as Currency, and specify 2 decimals, and optional thousands separator. The values will right-align on the decimal point.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

5 replies

Dec 1, 2015 8:35 AM in response to texan78730

The default cell alignment for the number, or currency data formats is right alignment. Using your values, and entering them into a column set to Number Data Format and 2 Decimals, every value aligned to the right. Clearing the column, setting the data format to Currency with 2 decimals, and re-entering your values reproduced the right-alignment.

Click on each of your cells in that column and verify that your data format is either Number or Currency. Force your decimal value to be 2. You can enter just the integer values for each cell, except the obvious negative amount.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 1, 2015 9:22 AM in response to VikingOSX

Nope. Doesn't work

Part of my problem was that I had not selected the align to right margin. (What is the A in the far right of the alignment section?)

I changed from currency to numbers with right alignment. Using integers.

This is the result

User uploaded file

I removed the bold command with no effect.

I added the ( ) and got this:

User uploaded file

Incidentally, the above results are were after I deleted the last two rows and added them back in fresh.

No change.

What am I doing wrong??

how to set decimal tab in a column of cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.