Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upon start page with progress bar, after it gets a little more than halfway, the computer turns itself off.

MY MacBook Pro froze up and I had to turn it off to get out of the frozen page and when I pushed the button to turn it on it makes the starting noise and then the progress bar comes on. When it gets a little over halfway, the screen goes black and the computer shuts off.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2015 1:05 PM

The progress bar that starts from the left end appears when your Boot Drive is too damaged to mount. The progress shown is the running of the equivalent of Disk Utility (Repair disk). It never gets more than halfway before a decision is made.

If your drive CAN be mounted, bootup proceeds normally.

If your Drive can NOT be mounted, your Mac shuts down, since there is nothing productive it can do.

If your Mac tries to boot and crashes, that can produce still different results, but that does not appear to be the case here.

I recommend you boot into Recovery, and run Disk Utility (Repair Disk) until it comes clean or is hopelessly stuck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Annfromcarmel

The progress bar that starts from the left end appears when your Boot Drive is too damaged to mount. The progress shown is the running of the equivalent of Disk Utility (Repair disk). It never gets more than halfway before a decision is made.

If your drive CAN be mounted, bootup proceeds normally.

If your Drive can NOT be mounted, your Mac shuts down, since there is nothing productive it can do.

If your Mac tries to boot and crashes, that can produce still different results, but that does not appear to be the case here.

I recommend you boot into Recovery, and run Disk Utility (Repair Disk) until it comes clean or is hopelessly stuck.

Dec 22, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Annfromcarmel

Put the injured Hard drive in an external enclosure, like a USB enclosure.

Over 350,000 of its files consist of Mac OS X, which does NOT modify itself. It can be re-created by a re-Install. So there's at least 350,000 files you don't need to rescue.

It is a much more difficult problem to Boot from a drive than to Read from a drive. Once you have a full working Mac OS X you can bring other Utilities to bear on the problem. Some Users like Data Rescue, for example.

Upon start page with progress bar, after it gets a little more than halfway, the computer turns itself off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.