Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if I have RDIMM (registered) installed already or DIMM (unregistered) (Mac Pro 2010 mid year Quad)

I have a Mac Pro Mid 2010, Quad core. The article says not to mix registered with unregistered. So how do I find out which I have installed already? The system report just says - 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC, nothing else.

Frank Fitzpatrick

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:01 PM

For the mac Pro 2010, the question to ask is, ¿What SIZE is each DIMM?

0.5GB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB are all Unregistered in every case.

8GB could go either way -- older ones could be Registered, the ones you bought in the last few years are not.

16GB and 32GB are always Registered.

3 replies

Dec 17, 2015 5:32 PM in response to frankELF

Look closely at the price of 8GB DIMMs. If you can get one for the price of 2 4GB DIMMs, then that is a better deal because it leaves more slots open for future expansion.

Always buy from a Vendor who promises:

"It works in your Mac,

or your money BACK!"

Otherwise you run the risk of owning truly excellent DIMMs, that do not happen to work in your Mac.

When the new ones arrive test them by themselves, to see if the work by themselves, then check whether they "play nice with others".

How do I know if I have RDIMM (registered) installed already or DIMM (unregistered) (Mac Pro 2010 mid year Quad)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.