Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV not displaying in Auditorium setup

I need to utilise AppleTV to remotely display the screen or videos on my device/s to an audience situated in an auditorium. I present from the front with a projector and screen situated to the front of the room. There is an audio/visual box located at the back of the hall. The projector is connected by a fairly heavy duty HDMI cable that runs through the roof and out on the audio/visual desk to connect your devices. I suppose the length would be 10 - 15 meters.

When I connect a normal laptop of any make, the projector displays the content with no problems. When I connect the AppleTV, nothing, no audio or visual. It does at time recognise it is connected and now and then a glimpse of the projection is shown, but overall, nothing. I connected the AppleTV directly to the projector and it works fine, no issues, but this can't be done due to the audience.

I have also tried this in other locations supporting the exact same auditorium setup and experience the same issues, I have also used other AppleTV's and get the same issues. They are 3rd generation I think, not the latest release.

Could this be the that the AppleTV can't amplify the signal over the distance for some reason? How can I over come the issue?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:31 PM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the suggestion, but this article seems to relate more to the devices connected either end and their protocols doesn't it? The solution they pose is definately device related and makes no mention of the cable itself being the problem. That said, if it does apply to the HDMI cable too then this might be the reason, but as the cables have been fitted there is no way of knowing their protocols. I would expect the cable to be good though as other devices, laptops, can utilise it and display just fine. The projector and AppleTV are compliant as I have connected them using a shorter cable. So, it is a cable problem I summise, but clarity on if it's this protocol issue or not would be nice.

Thanks heaps for your time and assistance, this is still a valuable bit of info for me incase I come across the protocol issue in the future.

AppleTV not displaying in Auditorium setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.