Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Not Drawing

Okay, I feel like I must be a big dummy. My Apple Pencil finally arrived today at long last. I plugged it into my iPad Pro to pair it via bluetooth. I checked the battery charge in the Today View, and it says 100%. When I open my Notes App and try to write, it acts like a styus - I can click on keyboard keys and get the zoom bubble if I hold it down, and I can move the page around by holding the pencil on the page and moving it. But, I cannot get the dang thing to make a line or write anything.

Someone in another post suggested to make sure the tip was screwed in all the way. Did that. It did come with an extra tip - was I supposed to use that? Is there something I am supposed to choose in a menu somewhere to activate the pencil or "tell" iPad Pro I want to use the pencil as a writing tool? I'm confused. I must be getting old because I used to use the new products with ease...

Help?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 6:41 PM

17 replies

Jul 14, 2017 11:49 AM in response to Dianetuck

Plenty of notes and handwriting apps and handwriting keyboards to use your Apple Pencil with.

There are about a 100 or so compatible Apple Pencil apps as well as apps that will work with the Apple Pencil as a regular commonplace stylus.

Why doesn't anyone posting here just search the iOS App Store for Apple Pencil solutions.

Users buy the $100 U.S.D. Pencil, but don't look or seek out apps to use with it!

Come on, peoples!

Here is my very small and very incomplete list of Apple Pencil compatible apps that you can hand draw or hand write in.

Tayasui Memopad

Ballpoint

Notability

Notes Plus

Note Shelf

Good Notes

Notes Writer

Evernote

NotePad+

Penultimate

WritePad

Ultimate Handwriting Bundle for iPad

uPad

MyScript Stylus

MyScript Stack

MyScript Calculator

MyScript Nebo

Nov 12, 2017 1:59 PM in response to MichelPM

It’s easy to search the store for apps but there’s no help there, which is why we come to the forums. For example, I have tried all those apps on your list but I’m still searching for an Apple Pencil compatible list making app. I can’t even figure out how to make lists in the notes app with Handwriting and Apple Pencil. The App Store is no help for anything except selling apps

Nov 12, 2017 2:45 PM in response to reademandweep

Apple forums are for questions about Apple products and Apple created apps, only.

If you need help with third party apps, that work with iPad Pro and Pencil, then you need to contact the third party app developer and not post 3rd party app questions here in these support forums.

Instead of using the iOS Notes app, what about using the iOS Reminders app?

I couldn't find any Apple Pencil compatible To Do list apps, either!

Many of these types of apps are just touch apps that only integrate with iPhone and the Apple Watch.

Dec 2, 2015 7:01 AM in response to tuwiniatlarge

Hello tuwiniatlarge,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see you are having issues drawing or writing with the Apple Pencil. Here are a couple of links that explain the use of the Apple Pencil to help you get started.

Use Apple Pencil with iPad Pro

Apple Pencil

The two tips that come with the Apple Pencil are the same and should make no difference in the use of the Apple Pencil. That said, you can try swapping to make sure that one isn't defective.

Best Regards.

Dec 20, 2015 1:46 AM in response to jeffd55

• As always apple support is useless and almost patronizing. Of course people are going to do to the Apple Pencil page to see if they missed anything and nothing on the page tells a person how to get the pencil to work with any app.
  • You pointed out the resource that didn't answer the question
  • How would anyone know to update notes?
  • On my Surface pro the pencil worked right out of the box I didn't have to do anything
  • When I connected the pencil via Bluetooth it should have enabled all the pencil features on the IPad for me.
  • Why would anyone buy a $99 stylus?

Dec 20, 2015 2:35 AM in response to Dereck Jones

Another fact that Apps have to be recoded by developers to support and accept input and control from the Apple Pencil just as developers have to do for other stylus makers.

Not ALL apps from third party developers are Apple Pencil ready. There are many popular apps that have been made Apple Pencil ready, but it will take awhile for the whole App ecosystem to offer Apple Pencil ready apps for the same reasons not all apps have recoded for the slide over screen or split screen.

That functionality, too, must be programmed into apps and is not an a dedicated iOS 9 feature within the OS, itself.

Apple Pencil Not Drawing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.