Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection issues with Airport Extreme

Just recently my wifi has been spotty at best and I was sure it was my local provider. After confirming this was not the problem (internet works great when connected by ethernet) I turned to my router. As soon as I connect the router I lose the wifi signal. The airport utility shows either the modem or the router connected but never at the same time. I did a soft and hard reset and even re-configured the router to no avail. This thing has worked great until now.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 7:11 PM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:45 PM in response to teedup

We need specifics ..

I turned to my router.

What router?? Make and model?

What model is the Airport Extreme?

What OS is on the computer you are using for the setup.. is it really Snow Leopard??

You seem to be using router for various different things.. we have a modem a router and AE?? And I think occasionally you refer to modem as router and airport as router.. so it is really hard.

As soon as I connect the router I lose the wifi signal.

How did you connect to the router?

What wifi signal did you lose.. from the router or from the AE??

The airport utility shows either the modem or the router connected but never at the same time.

The airport utility cannot show anything to do with the modem.. it cannot be an apple because apple do not make modems.. also we now have modem and router.. so I am confused.

If you plug the airport into the modem (is it a router or not??) then the airport must be in the right mode.. that means.. to a modem it is router and to a modem router it is bridge.

Please reset the AE to factory and start again..

This time do the setup from something like IOS if possible.. it is superior to the Mac.

Dec 1, 2015 8:33 AM in response to LaPastenague

modem - motorola sb6141 cable modem

Airport Extreme Base Station

OS Lion

When connected via ethernet to my Macbook I am fine. When I connect the modem to the AE I have no wifi. The utility will show the network green but the AE orange. I reset to factory and created a new network with the same result. I dont understand after running flawlessly for almost a year it suddenly starts to give me problems.

Sorry for all the confusion in my original post.

Dec 1, 2015 4:01 PM in response to teedup

modem - motorola sb6141 cable modem

Here is your problem..

It is almost absurd and I cannot explain the logic.. there is none.

SB6141 is subject to more issues here than any other network device (especially if you add the other SB models. )

This started with the last version firmware for older series.. 7.6.4 and mostly affects the AC model AE and TC.

There is no fix.. normally it will be bad from day one.. but your situation is also far from unique.

The AE is also not as reliable as it should be.

You did not answer which model AE you have.. but let me assume you have the AC version. (tall one).

Make sure it is in router mode.. this is absolutely required.

Go to the airport utility and ensure you connected as router by clicking edit and going to the network tab.. It must show dhcp + nat.

User uploaded file

Go to the Internet tab. it must show DHCP.

It also has to show your public IP address and the correct gateway.. mine is different so I cannot show you that.

User uploaded file

Go to the wireless tab.. it must show create a wireless network..

User uploaded file

Assuming all of these are correct.. then your AE is now faulty.. return it to apple for replacement if in warranty or you have applecare on a computer/ipad or apple TV.

Connection issues with Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.