Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

air play drops

So let me explain my situation. I'm an apple guy. I have everything Apple. 5K Retina iMac, iPad pro, alll iPhones 6+, Apple TV 2nd Gen and just got the new AppleTV, Apple Time Capsule 2 TB, multiple Airport Extremes, .... My problem is I have a big house and want to play music throughout the house. I understand Apple switched things around when my older Apple TVs could no longer pick more than one speaker at a time. My older AppleTV's could do every Airport Extreme as well as all the AppleTV's.

My problem is multifold so let me try and break it down so I can get some help.

1. Ever since the new airport/appletv switch about 2-3 years ago where you can no longer pick multiple speakers and just one per AppleTV or iOS device I have been having drop issues. My AppleTV will play and then suddenly drop out and I will have to restart devices to get it working. I NEVER had that probelm before the update a few years ago.
  2. My computer (Retina 5K 27") I bought because I figured our 24" iMac was dated but still every day I get airtunes drops when I choose multiple speakers from the iTunes menu. Man I bought this new computer to get away fro the airplay issues. My wife is n=mad at me because it is the same as with the 24" older iMac.
  3. I bought the new ac band Time capsule no change.
  4. iPad Pro using for instance WHAALE still having drop issues on the AppleTV's but slightly better than the Retina iMac.

So here what I'm wondering. If I get for ind=stance an non Apple product like

NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Gigabit Wi-Fi Router & NETGEAR High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Bundle will that help?

Anyway here is the deal.

These airtunes drops are ruining my social gatherings. My wife thinks I don't know **** because our music stops in the middle of our holiday parties. Please can anyone help me please please please.

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:59 PM

There is a huge number of posts about airplay dropping out.

I have to admit I am more a network guy than a music guy.. but let me tell you streaming media over wireless is a very bad idea.. It did not ever work properly when I have tried it.. and I simply have decided to avoid it.

Run ethernet.. any wireless you use must be single hops.. ie

imac--wireless--Airport---wireless---ATV

Is double hop wireless.. every packet goes through double handling. The speed is hugely reduced because wireless cannot Tx and Rx at the same time.. nor can it talk to more than one client at a time.. That means if there is a few clients you cannot get a stream to work.

Ever since the new airport/appletv switch about 2-3 years ago where you can no longer pick multiple speakers and just one per AppleTV or iOS device I have been having drop issues

So why did it work in the past.. I think it was because it was using multicast and apple had IGMP snooping working well in the older router.

http://routerguide.net/enable-igmp-snooping-on-or-off/

But they made some major changes in the more recent routers that have caused loads of issues.

Here is apple's very general fixes..

Get help using AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The most important one I think is just to offload wireless and plug things in by ethernet wherever possible.

I doubt buying a different router is going to solve the problem.. I think you are better buying into Sonos or one of the other systems that use iTunes but make their own networks from it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 4:59 PM in response to Cdog2

There is a huge number of posts about airplay dropping out.

I have to admit I am more a network guy than a music guy.. but let me tell you streaming media over wireless is a very bad idea.. It did not ever work properly when I have tried it.. and I simply have decided to avoid it.

Run ethernet.. any wireless you use must be single hops.. ie

imac--wireless--Airport---wireless---ATV

Is double hop wireless.. every packet goes through double handling. The speed is hugely reduced because wireless cannot Tx and Rx at the same time.. nor can it talk to more than one client at a time.. That means if there is a few clients you cannot get a stream to work.

Ever since the new airport/appletv switch about 2-3 years ago where you can no longer pick multiple speakers and just one per AppleTV or iOS device I have been having drop issues

So why did it work in the past.. I think it was because it was using multicast and apple had IGMP snooping working well in the older router.

http://routerguide.net/enable-igmp-snooping-on-or-off/

But they made some major changes in the more recent routers that have caused loads of issues.

Here is apple's very general fixes..

Get help using AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

The most important one I think is just to offload wireless and plug things in by ethernet wherever possible.

I doubt buying a different router is going to solve the problem.. I think you are better buying into Sonos or one of the other systems that use iTunes but make their own networks from it.

Dec 1, 2015 5:00 PM in response to LaPastenague

My edit time is up

lock down the system.. everything on short names <10 characters.. no spaces and pure alphanumerics.. same with passwords.. only 8-20 characters.

Fix the wireless channels and different names on different bands.. stop things jumping around.

You will have to pick the best channels and you can use the wireless diagnostics built into the Mac OS since Mountain Lion to do it.

Use Wireless Diagnostics to help you resolve Wi-Fi issues on your Mac - Apple Support

If you are in an area of bad wifi with far too much signal in the 2.4ghz then force everything you can to 5ghz. (Wired is much better though).

The use of another router could be worthwhile.. you don't need something expensive.. a cheap unit like TP-Link WR1043ND v2 is recommended for gargoyle firmware.. bridge the Airport to it to do wireless.. but it will no longer control the network.. this simple change could help a lot and the unit is about $50.. so cheap and cheerful.

air play drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.