Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iPhone sending text messages instead of iMessages?

My iMessage keeps sending text messages when I want it to send iMessages to iPhones how do I convert it back

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:26 AM

Were you only having issues sending iMessages to one person? Or to all iPhone users? I am not able to send iMessages when connected to data, only when connected to wifi.

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 9:48 PM in response to Umbralupus

When you checked the area I asked you to look at, does it show that iMessage is activated? What is set for Send & Receive? Do you see a checkmark by your phone number? Does this failure to send as an iMessage only occur for a single contact? If so, then delete the conversation and start over again. I've had iMessages fail to send and then send as a text, but that has never affected the ability to send to the same recipient a short time later as an iMessage.

Why is my iPhone sending text messages instead of iMessages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.