Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto

I have just downloaded OSX El Capitan onto my mac pro notebook (2011). Now I can't access iPhoto until I update . Cant update because it says this update is not available for this apple id.says it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:08 PM

Software update does no longer work for iPhoto, because Apple is no longer selling iPhoto from the Mac App Store.

Try to update by reinstalling as described by Barney:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

This will only work, if iPhoto is showing in your Purchases history at the AppStore. You need a version of iPhoto associated with your AppleID at the AppStore. Then you can update iPhoto by reinstalling.

• Check, if iPhoto is showing in your Purchases history - the fourth tab at the App Store. If not, try to unhide it: See: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
  • If iPhoto is showing on the forth tab of the AppStore delete the incompatible version of iPhoto from your Applications folder. Drag it to the Trash, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Now reload the Purchases tab of the App Store by pressing ⌘R. The button to the right of iPhoto should change to "Install". press it to reinstall.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2015 10:08 PM in response to z0egrow

Software update does no longer work for iPhoto, because Apple is no longer selling iPhoto from the Mac App Store.

Try to update by reinstalling as described by Barney:

Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

This will only work, if iPhoto is showing in your Purchases history at the AppStore. You need a version of iPhoto associated with your AppleID at the AppStore. Then you can update iPhoto by reinstalling.

• Check, if iPhoto is showing in your Purchases history - the fourth tab at the App Store. If not, try to unhide it: See: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases
  • If iPhoto is showing on the forth tab of the AppStore delete the incompatible version of iPhoto from your Applications folder. Drag it to the Trash, but don't empty the Trash.
  • Now reload the Purchases tab of the App Store by pressing ⌘R. The button to the right of iPhoto should change to "Install". press it to reinstall.

Dec 4, 2015 11:21 AM in response to léonie

I have tried all the suggestions from this community trying to get my iPhoto to work again after updating to

el Capitain. I Need to do a 9.6.1 for iPhoto - and no matter how I try to work around it... the app store tells me: "This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled." I have no clue why it is saying that, other than the original iLife program might have been registered differently because someone used my apple account to charge something and I needed to change my Apple Id and password. I really prefer iPhoto over the "Photo" app for making my Christmas cards every year— so many more options and layouts! And it would be nice to get my iPhoto back so I can order my cards by this weekend!!! HELP!

Dec 4, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Mcduff

"This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled."

As long as you are trying to update you have lost. You can only reinstall. And only, if you own an AppStore version of iPhoto.

In all other cases you need to convince AppStore support to provide a redeem code so you can install iPhoto. But they are reluctant to do that, because they want us to to move on to Photos.

iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.