Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to purchase snow leapord again ?

Hi,

My older HDD for mac crashed and I was able to install the original Mac 10.6.1 on a new HDD. I had purchased snow leapord before and upgraded to Yosemite. My question is since my HDD is new, do I need to repurchase the Snow Leapord or is there a way to retrieve the older order I had ?

Regards,

Abhishek

MacBook (13-inch Late 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 8:37 PM

8 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:50 PM in response to abbanerjee

There are no Snow Leopard downloadable installers for the general public. If you’re referring to 10.7 or newer, log into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID and click on the Purchases tab, or if your computer shipped with it, restart with the Option, Command, and R keys held down.

If you actually did get a Snow Leopard download, ask the people at Apple who provided it or your organization’s IT department as applicable.

(136759)

Nov 30, 2015 9:03 PM in response to Niel

My Macbook has come with a 10.6.1 OSX install DVD which I have used to install the OS. I remember somewhere in the past I had paid $19.99 to purchase an upgrade. I now have upgraded my Mac to 10.6.6 but cannot upgrade to 10.6.8. When I use the App store to look at my purchases, it dosent show the 10.6.8 but it does show that I had downloaded Yosemite somewhere in June this year. So I am not sure what I need to do to upgrade my current OS X form 10.6.6 to the latest without having to pay again. I think it should be fairly straight forward to retrieve the previous purchase. Are very old purchases purged or was it something to do with the Apple account hack that happened ?

Nov 30, 2015 9:17 PM in response to Niel

Okay, that seems to be working. I have now upgraded to 10.6.8 and now I was able to initiate a download for El Captain. Its still "Waiting.." but I believe thats more to do with getting a download slot in the server isnt it ? Atleast it didnt show any error message that I cannot upgrade from current version. After it is done waiting it should download. Is that correct ?

Do I need to purchase snow leapord again ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.