Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gray, inaccessible iCloud Drive files.

Have copied one Excel (.xlsx) and several Word (.docx) and Portable Document Format (.pdf) files to iCloud Drive to share between my Mac & PC.

Oddly, on the Mac side, in the iCloud Drive Finder folder, every file type other than Excel is gray.

Subsequently, on the PC, the iCloud for Windows iCloud Drive only shows the Excel file.

Having never encountered this behavior, I'm not certain how to write a decent knowledge base search?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:03 PM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2015 10:27 PM in response to charlesmann2

Unable to edit original post for some reason. Updating this post to be more inclusive, descriptive.

Have copied one Excel (.xlsx) and several Word (.docx) and Portable Document Format (.pdf) files to iCloud Drive to share between my Mac & PC.

Oddly, on the Mac side, in Finder's iCloud Drive folder, every file type other than Excel is gray & inaccessible.

Subsequently, on the PC, the iCloud for Windows iCloud Drive folder only shows the Excel file.

However, the iCloud Online iCloud Drive folder shows all files, regardless of type. I can download & manipulate files easily.

Q1: why does Finder's iCloud Drive restrict certain file types?

Q2: why does iCloud Online's iCloud Drive not restrict file types?

Thanks for your insights.

Gray, inaccessible iCloud Drive files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.