Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formulas in table inside Pages

In Pages I've inserted a table, which I assume is a small Numbers like table. Column D is set to a formula which simply multiplies columns B and C together. If I click on a row and Insert Below, then the formulas and cell formatting are not copied down. How do I make this happen automatically? It's a pain to reset things for every row I add there.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 2:50 AM

Hi Gargoyle,

Tables in Pages are similar to Tables in Numbers. Here is an example with a Header Row (Row 1), a Footer Row (Row 5) and a Header Column (Column A):

User uploaded file

Formula in Cell D2

=Cost each ChairĂ—Number ordered Chair

Pages by default uses the labels in Header Rows and Header Columns as Cell references. Numbers (usually) uses the Column (A, B, C, D) label and Row 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) label as Cell references.

To Fill the formula down from D2 to D4, drag the yellow dot (Fill Handle) down.

To add another row containg the formula, click in a cell in Row 4 and press option down arrow.

User uploaded file

Fill in the details in Columns A, B and C

The formula in D5 calculates the cost for that Row.

Formula in Footer Cell D6

=SUM(Cost)

Created in Pages 5.5.3 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 2:50 AM in response to Gargoyle Software

Hi Gargoyle,

Tables in Pages are similar to Tables in Numbers. Here is an example with a Header Row (Row 1), a Footer Row (Row 5) and a Header Column (Column A):

User uploaded file

Formula in Cell D2

=Cost each ChairĂ—Number ordered Chair

Pages by default uses the labels in Header Rows and Header Columns as Cell references. Numbers (usually) uses the Column (A, B, C, D) label and Row 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) label as Cell references.

To Fill the formula down from D2 to D4, drag the yellow dot (Fill Handle) down.

To add another row containg the formula, click in a cell in Row 4 and press option down arrow.

User uploaded file

Fill in the details in Columns A, B and C

The formula in D5 calculates the cost for that Row.

Formula in Footer Cell D6

=SUM(Cost)

Created in Pages 5.5.3 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.3

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 1, 2015 10:39 AM in response to Yellowbox

This thread finally got me playing around with tables in Pages. I see you can do with tables in Pages things not yet possible with Numbers tables, such as reversing direction. Also, paginating across pages so you know what it will look like when printed even as you're working on it.

To my surprise it seems that Pages tables can do everything that Numbers do. Other than when you need multiple sheets with "tabs" at the top, why not just use Pages!??

SG

Dec 1, 2015 6:55 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

Pages and Numbers are both part of iWork. Many similarities.

One difference you will see in Pages is that a Table (or any object) is by default, Move with Text.

To drag it around as in Numbers, select the object then Format Panel > Arrange > Stay on Page

User uploaded file

Also have a play with Text Wrap.

Pages is a word processor, not the canvas we get in Numbers! (unless you start with a Page Layout template such as a newsletter with text boxes).

It takes a bit of getting used to, and I prefer Numbers for easy manipulation of objects.

Regards,

Ian.

Dec 1, 2015 7:09 PM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the pointers. I was astonished to discover Pages apparently makes available all the formulas and functions that Numbers does. It might be a natural place to do "print-oriented" spreadsheet work. (I'm thinking of all those questions about the limitations of printing in Numbers).

SG

Dec 1, 2015 9:27 PM in response to SGIII

Hi SG,

I'm thinking of all those questions about the limitations of printing in Numbers

And Jerry and Barry were correct (years ago) when they recommended copy and paste from Numbers to Pages for easy print layout 🙂.

For your next trick,

Pages Preferences > Rulers >

User uploaded file

• Menu > View > Show Layout;
  • Menu > View > Show Rulers;
  • From the rulers, drag Alignment Guides to the page margins (Screen Shot at 37% zoom).

User uploaded file

Golly gosh, how refreshing to be able to help Pages for Mac users in the Numbers for Mac forum!

Regards,

Ian.

Formulas in table inside Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.