Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro, target display mode to iMac, thunderbolt drive ejects?

So my set up is a Mac pro 2013 with a Lacie 4tb thunderbolt drive connected, then from another thunderbolt port the iMac is connected. I have no issues with target display mode as all appears to work fine. The issue I encounter is the drive keeps ejecting almost 2 mins in to using it.

Here are a few things I tried

Swapped thunderbolt cable, same problem

Swapped Thunderbolt for USB 3 cable No issues this works (would prefer to use Thunderbolt)

Put hard Drives to sleep when possible is off.

Now I am thinking the issue might be similar to this, back to when I tried using Firewire 800 to share the internet to another computer I had a firewire drive connected to it too, this meant whoever switches on first gets the hard drive! Could Thunderbolt be doing the same thing and as a result get ejected, is there away the drive could be "pair" to the computer to prevent that?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:29 AM

12 replies

Dec 1, 2015 1:35 AM in response to MattJayC

I don't have a new Mac Pro or new iMac for that matter so cannot speak from personal experience but see the following.

There are three different Thunderbolt 'busses' on the new Mac Pro, you could try connecting the hard drive and the iMac via different busses and see if that helps. See Use multiple displays with your Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Camelot

Camelot wrote:

John, according to the OP he's already doing that.

Mac pro 2013 with a Lacie 4tb thunderbolt drive connected, then from another thunderbolt port the iMac is connected

There are 6 Thunderbolt ports but only 3 busses on the new Mac Pro. It is quite possible he has picked another port on the same bus. It is therefore worth checking against the diagram via the link I provided.

Dec 2, 2015 6:17 AM in response to MattJayC

Ok I Still have the problem,

I have now tried this combination and it is the same.

X - 0

0 - 0

0 - X

I checked the iMac to see if they had been mounted, and they hadn't.

I thought i'd check the 'about mac' and get a system report. when I clicked on thunderbolt it made the system crash!

On reboot once the drive was connected it did show that its on a different bus.

User uploaded file

Hope there is a solution for this.

Matt

EDIT> just ejected while in the middle of writing a file! Annoyingly back to USB 3! Could have a bought a much cheaper drive if just USB 3.0

Dec 17, 2015 8:12 AM in response to MattJayC

Do you really need Target Display Mode?

You could connect via Screen Sharing, and still be able to compute on both computers. The only downside is the connection is not really fast enough for Video editing, but it works for almost everything else with an Ethernet connection. I use mine with Gigabit Ethernet switch and it saves me running to the basement to fiddle with my Mac Pro Server.

On the Mac Pro:

System Preferences > Sharing > Screen Sharing

Mac Pro, target display mode to iMac, thunderbolt drive ejects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.