Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule for iTunes and photos

Hi,

I am looking to use a time capsule as a library for my media such as iTunes, photos and videos and have more than one mac access all records. The hard drives on the macs in my house are getting clogged up with this type of file and I would like to have either machine be able to add to or playback from the time capsule. I would hope that this is possible, as a suitable storage solution. It may be that I purchase another mac with a smaller solid state drive and it would be such a shame not to be able to access or control my media from it.

I hope that this is the solution that I am looking for.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 10:26 AM

Unfortunately support for photos is all local computer or iCloud.

What will happen if you move the library to the TC and open it from there is unknown.. do ask the people in the photos section..

iPhoto did have a share with the network functionality, at least up to the latest version.. but note.. it was never to be shared on a TC.. Apple said explicitly not to load iphoto libraries onto the TC as they would be corrupted. It could be shared to the network from one computer.

You can store photos in raw form of course.. but you cannot use a central library on a local network device.

iTunes is a bit different.. opening the library from the TC should be ok.. however I doubt multiple computers can do it at the same time.. You can have multiple copies of the library perhaps.. although apple do try and control it.. each computer and device must register via iCloud.. and a max of 5 devices is allowed.

Apple do not make a server edition of photos or iTunes.. as strange as that seems... and a lot of sharing with the local network has moved to iCloud which is another way for apple to make money.. but unfortunately even if you can pay for it.. it is only for the internet wealthy.. ie high upload and download speeds.. for the vast majority of people internet speeds are yet to reach anything above snails racing up a wall.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 10:26 AM in response to tidester

Unfortunately support for photos is all local computer or iCloud.

What will happen if you move the library to the TC and open it from there is unknown.. do ask the people in the photos section..

iPhoto did have a share with the network functionality, at least up to the latest version.. but note.. it was never to be shared on a TC.. Apple said explicitly not to load iphoto libraries onto the TC as they would be corrupted. It could be shared to the network from one computer.

You can store photos in raw form of course.. but you cannot use a central library on a local network device.

iTunes is a bit different.. opening the library from the TC should be ok.. however I doubt multiple computers can do it at the same time.. You can have multiple copies of the library perhaps.. although apple do try and control it.. each computer and device must register via iCloud.. and a max of 5 devices is allowed.

Apple do not make a server edition of photos or iTunes.. as strange as that seems... and a lot of sharing with the local network has moved to iCloud which is another way for apple to make money.. but unfortunately even if you can pay for it.. it is only for the internet wealthy.. ie high upload and download speeds.. for the vast majority of people internet speeds are yet to reach anything above snails racing up a wall.

time capsule for iTunes and photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.