Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden Crackling Earphone, Ears Hurt

So, I was using my apple earphones, watching youtube, eating some apples. I paused my youtube video to do something, and there were no other noises coming from the earphones (that I could hear, of course). The earphones were connected to an LG screen which was connected to a computer tower. I was running Windows 7 (Sorry, apple 😝). Then, I heard a sudden crackling in my earphones, probably lasted about half a second, and my ear just started hurting. My right ear, specifically, as that was the only ear with an earphone on at the time. I promptly removed the earphones, and now I'm looking for answers online, but all of them show results that aren't directly pertinent or helpful. Any advice? It would be much appreciated.

I have absolutely no idea if I put this in the right community, I'm pretty new to this. 😁

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:28 PM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2015 6:34 AM in response to DevilStuff

You likely have one of the following --

• earphones that have failed
  • a dirty earphone jack
  • a hardware failure on the source device - that would be the LG screen or computer

The easiest things to try, in this order are --

1. Clear the headphone jack by blowing into it.
  2. Plug the earphones into another device.
  3. Plug other earphones, headphones or speakers plugged into the same jack.

The results of those will tell you where the problem exists.

Dec 1, 2015 6:23 PM in response to OldGnome

Thanks for responding, first of all.

I'll check the earphones for dirtiness. May be a bit of earwax, or moisture from the apples. Thing is, I can't tell where the source of the problem is because I tested these earphones today for like 3 hours to see if the crackling would happen again and they worked fine, but random moments of crackling has happened in the past.

Sudden Crackling Earphone, Ears Hurt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.