Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New ATV password and restrictions bug

The bugs in the new Apple TV are driving me crazy! I've had the 2nd Gen (first black one) since they were released and I love it. Since my kids were old enough to crawl and find the silver remote I have had restriction enabled. When I set up the new ATV I enabled everything just like my other two last gen ATVs. I immediately noticed a problem with the new system. The old ATV would prompt for the 4 digit code (that is set when enabling restrictions) anytime I would try to play media above the allowed rating level or make a new purchase. This was an easy and quick solution that prevented "accidental" kid purchases or unauthorized viewing of action movies by the kids. The code was especially easy to enter when using the Remote app on any of my iOS devices.

The new ATV however is constantly prompting me for my full iTunes login every time I play any media, even rated G movies that I already own. The worst part is that because the existing Remote app isn't supported by the new ATV I am forced to enter my really long and complex iTunes password using the new remote and the stupid alphabet line interface. I have tried turning off restrictions and setting all the content back the all allowed setting but it's still asking for my password every time anything is played. The password setting is set to never ask but it doesn't seem to matter. The only way I've been able to fix the problem is to reset the ATV and set it up again from scratch. Of course, this quickly resulted in several "accidental" purchases on Crossy Road.

I hope that a new Remote iOS app is coming soon and that they will in corporate touchID. With family sharing and authorization requests that can be sent to the parent's phone it would be great if the same thing would work for the ATV. I LOVE apple products and the ATV but this is a deal breaker for me.

This is such a bad user experience I have resorted to plunging in my old (3rd gen) ATV until an update is released.

Apple TV, null

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 12:44 AM

Being a user to user community, Apple are unlikely to read your comments, but if you have any suggestions that you think might enhance the Apple TV you can send Apple your feedback here

1 reply

New ATV password and restrictions bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.