Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black screen mirroring early-2011 MBP

I'm trying to mirror my screen with airplay on a 4th Gen Apple TV. The airplay icon comes up on the screen (worked great with my gen2) but when I click on it, the MBP reconfigures to 1080p and the TV screen goes black. It stays that way for about 30 seconds, then the MBP flashes back to normal resolution and the Apple TV goes to the home screen.

I'm running OS X 10.11.1 on an Early-2011 MBP

I'm running tvOS 9.0.1 (13T402)

Both devices are on the same wifi network.

Apple TV (4th generation), iOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:04 PM

1 reply

Dec 1, 2015 6:01 AM in response to john mares

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (System Preferences > Network, on the Mac and Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your computer.

If you are still having problems, try turning off bluetooth if it's enabled, also try using 802.11n for wifi if you are currently using either 802.11b or 802.11g.

Additionally, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this pagehelpful.

black screen mirroring early-2011 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.