Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade my graphics driver in Bootcamp?

As you might know AMD Crimson is out. I know Bootcamp has a more specific driver so a good idea or not to upgrade it to AMD Crimson?

My graphics card is R9 M370X

Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 2:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 3:29 PM

Definitely you should.

The Boot Camp drivers are a good starting point and will install everything you need to get started (such as for the Apple specific hardware features).

But the boot camp drivers are not updated very often, and you should definitely update the AMD drivers for display adapter which are probably far newer than what Apple has included in its Boot Camp support software.

For example, I have an NVIDIA card and regularly update GeForce drivers through GeForce experience every month or so.

You may also want to check for updated drivers from Microsoft through Device Manager (particularly the Display adapter as mentioned above and System Devices). E.g. go to Device Manager, System Devices, open each device and select drivers, update drivers (search online).

Last but not least, check Apple Software Update (on Windows) every so often.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2015 3:29 PM in response to stevenhasquestion

Definitely you should.

The Boot Camp drivers are a good starting point and will install everything you need to get started (such as for the Apple specific hardware features).

But the boot camp drivers are not updated very often, and you should definitely update the AMD drivers for display adapter which are probably far newer than what Apple has included in its Boot Camp support software.

For example, I have an NVIDIA card and regularly update GeForce drivers through GeForce experience every month or so.

You may also want to check for updated drivers from Microsoft through Device Manager (particularly the Display adapter as mentioned above and System Devices). E.g. go to Device Manager, System Devices, open each device and select drivers, update drivers (search online).

Last but not least, check Apple Software Update (on Windows) every so often.

Dec 27, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Paul@Sydney

How do you do this?

I'm using the same mid-2015 MacBook Pro as the OP. The Catalyst Control Centre won't open in Boot Camp (whenever I try and start it nothing happens, and the icon disappears from the notification area) so I'm trying to update the driver. But the Crimson driver on the AMD site just says it finds no compatible hardware and won't install.

I seem to remember on an older MacBook that I was able to modify a file in the installer and trick it into installing as if it was the equivalent standard windows hardware, but I've no idea how to do that for this.

Should I upgrade my graphics driver in Bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.