Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black/Blank Screen

I have an iPhone 5 which the screen has gone black on but I can still hear alerts or vibrations. This has happened before but its came back on after being left on charged, this time this doesn't happen. iTunes says its on 100%, also I can't hard start/reset because the power/lock screen button doesn't work, and trust me I tried that all day! So what can I do so it comes on?

Thanks!!!

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 10:10 PM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2015 8:46 AM in response to Megrogers

Hey Meg,
Sorry to hear that you can't see anything on your iPhone 5 display. Let's see if we can get it working again.
Start with looking at the troubleshooting outlined below. It would be safe to say that you can ignore the first troubleshooting as you can see that it has power. If you can't get it to restart, then you will want to restore it using iTunes. After the restore has completed and the display still does not show anything, then you will need to contact Apple for additional support.
Get help with the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203039

If you see a solid color screen (black, white, or blue)

1. Plug in your device to a power source. If you see the low-battery screen when you plug in, let your device charge for at least 10 minutes (20 minutes for iPad) before using it.
  2. Force restart your device while it's plugged in.
  3. If this doesn't work, restore your device.
  4. If you still see the issue after you restore, contact Apple Support.

Take it easy

Black/Blank Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.