Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Logic X as FOH Mixer?

Using Logic X as FOH Mixer? This is something that would make my dreams come true. Using waves plug-ins, post performance mixing, virtually unlimited hardware outputs / inputs (I know is not unlimited but 255 is A LOT) for a fraction of a price of a huge bulky $50,000 desk. I know latency would be a huge potential problem but if money wasn't a problem would Apple's best hardware be able to handle 48 to 64 channel inputs with EQ, Compression, CLA Plug-ins, De-esser, Vocal Rider, and all that stuff with virtually no latency? May be a dumb question but this idea could change the music industry if they get it to the point and I would switch everything we do right now if that was the case... We have a Yamaha M7CL Digital Board and it's fairly limited and would love the control of a DAW for live use like logic... Is it possible with today's software and hardware to do this with close to no latency for monitors, mains, and sub outs?

Thanks for any insight!!!!

Posted on Nov 30, 2015 11:08 PM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2015 3:09 AM in response to Vincent Griffith

For this task, it seems Mainstage would be a better fit than Logic. However, I cannot really recommend doing that. Modern computer OSes have a large number of processes running in the background, unpredictable disk access or memory allocations going on, nearly unpredictable CPU power saving automatisms, unpredictable scheduler granularity, etc. In addition, you have a multi-purpose system architecture that is not optimised for signal flows as important data can easily fall out of cache lines or even be scattered in memory. You can partly compensate for all this by running relatively large buffer sizes and using safety buffers, in short, by introducing a lot of latency. But even with this latency added, the system will still be a rather big safety margin away from performing optimally. Modern plugins are also not always optimised for ultra low latency and add even more to the total in-to-out latency.

That said, it's not impossible, but I would sweat blood during a show that I mix with a general purpose setup like this. And I wouldn't even try it without first having set up an absolute minimal OS installation and proof running that many times. You'd have to live with total monitoring latencies of more than 10 ms, which will definitely confuse drummers and bassists enough to ruin any groove.

Modern mixing consoles got a lot cheaper and come with tons of features that are very comparable to the mixing abilities of DAWs. Take the Behringer X32 for example. It has already started to reform the market and will trigger a number of future products with many channels, high routing flexibility, high quality internal plugins, digital stage boxes, very low latency and all that for relatively little money. The golden times of digital mixing are still ahead of us if you ask me. Getting a Mac (or PC) based rig that would perform nearly as well (and then not quite) would cost much more.

My live setup consists of a digital stage box that I also use as remote controlled monitor mixer and a digital FOH mixer. I use logic only for recording the performance. I'm very happy with this setup and I don't feel limited by it at all.

Cheers,

Jazz

Dec 1, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Jazzmaniac

Moder computers are more than capable of running software based FOH mixers. So that stuff about them bing overloaded is not factually true. If it were, you'd never be able to edit a feature film on one.

LPX and MainStage are not really meant to be FOH mixers. Sick with a real board. Modern FOH boards are motorized, and can store presets that are recalled instantly. This is very needed for FOH mixing.

Dec 1, 2015 7:15 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

Moder computers are more than capable of running software based FOH mixers. So that stuff about them bing overloaded is not factually true. If it were, you'd never be able to edit a feature film on one.

Frankly, I don't think you're familiar with the technical requirements of low latency or near realtime processing. Your argument is absolutely pointless.

Cheers,

Jazz

Using Logic X as FOH Mixer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.