Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft for Apple 2004 .xls files to convert into Numbers

Can I import an.xls file (Microsoft for Mac 2004) into Numbers?

I would like to know before I download the latest Numbers/Pages from applications Apple.

I put El Capitan on my iMac 2009 and lost Microsoft Office 2004 through the update to the new system.

Apple help says that in Numbers you can convert .xlsx files into Numbers but no mention of the older files.

Any reply would be very much appreciates.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2015 10:35 AM

Hello there, Monpopp.

It sounds like you are looking to find out if the latest version of Numbers for Mac can open an older Excel file from Office for Mac 2004. The following link to the online Number Help provides some helpful information in that regard:

Open a spreadsheet - Numbers

Open a spreadsheet

Numbers can open spreadsheets saved on your Mac, in iCloud, on connected servers, and in third-party storage providers such as Dropbox. You can also use Numbers to open and edit Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (.xls and .xlsx).

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Monpopp

Hello there, Monpopp.

It sounds like you are looking to find out if the latest version of Numbers for Mac can open an older Excel file from Office for Mac 2004. The following link to the online Number Help provides some helpful information in that regard:

Open a spreadsheet - Numbers

Open a spreadsheet

Numbers can open spreadsheets saved on your Mac, in iCloud, on connected servers, and in third-party storage providers such as Dropbox. You can also use Numbers to open and edit Microsoft Excel spreadsheets (.xls and .xlsx).

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Dec 2, 2015 2:28 PM in response to Monpopp

Monpopp wrote:

Can I import an.xls file (Microsoft for Mac 2004) into Numbers?

In Numbers File > Open and navigate to the xls file. It should import without a problem. If you have "array" formulas or fancy formatting you may have to rework some parts of the spreadsheet. If you run into problems when doing that you can always come back here and post specifics.

SG

Microsoft for Apple 2004 .xls files to convert into Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.