Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CDMA & GSM or GSM only

Hi,..

I have iphone 4s ( A1387 ) and it doesn't work with cdma sim ,

one of my friends has iphone 4s , when he eject sim card his phone keep show signal strength level ,
but mine say ( no sim )

so, Is mine CDMA & GSM or GSM only ??

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4, A1387

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 12:03 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2015 7:13 AM in response to mhmds1

All iPhones since the 4s, have all had both CDMA and GSM hardware inside.

That does not mean they can magically connect to to both at the same time however.

Some CDMA carriers use GSM sim cards for Data access now. But only on iPhones that support LTE. so iPhone 5 and above.

If you have an iPhone that has service from a GSM carrier, removing the sim card will effectively kill the GSM connection to the carrier, so no service.

CDMA carriers configure the phone to use their network, and generally do not require a sim card, since all connection settings are saved onto the CDMA hardware inside the phone. If a sim card is present in a iPhone setup for a CDMA carrier, removing it will not cause the service to go away, since its not being used.,

If your friend uses a sim card for international service on GSM networks, then he can pull it out when he is in the originating country and the phone will remain connected to his CDMA carrier.

It appears you on the other hand are not connected to a CDMA carrier at all, so removing the ism card from your iPhone cuts the connection to your carrier, and so you have no service.

CDMA & GSM or GSM only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.