Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any shortcut for select until next empty cell?

Hi,

I am new in numbers. I am looking for the shortcut for selecting cells until next empty cell.

The command + arrow will select the entire row or column.

Does anyone know this shortcut?

Numbers-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:25 AM

11 replies

Dec 2, 2015 3:24 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thank you for reply.

I like the look of numbers, so I tried to move from excel to numbers.

In excel, command + arrow will select all cells on the line until the empty one. It's an essential feature for me.

Maybe I can create an apple script to implement this feature. But I do not want to use any two step way to do this.

I guess I have no choice but give up numbers and go back to excel.

Dec 2, 2015 6:32 AM in response to black316

OK.

you select a range of cells by selecting the first cell, then holding the shift key while using the arrows

you can also select a range by selecting the first cell, then hold the shift key and click the last cell of the range

you can select from the current cell to the end a row (or column) by selecting the first cell then hold the shift key AND the command key, then use the arrow key to select the direction of the selection. This will select from the selected cell to the end of the column (down or up arrow) or row (left or right arrow)

you can always post feedback to Apple using the menu item "Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

Dec 2, 2015 10:48 AM in response to black316

I use Excel a lot too, and was a bit confused when I started with Numbers. It sounds as if you are trying to use a Numbers table like an Excel sheet, a big expanse of cells where you have areas that are populated and "blank" areas in between so it's essential to be able to navigate to the next blank cell.

In Numbers generally you want your tables compact, with few if any blank cells in their body. And you often have more than one table on a sheet. Numbers tables are roughly equivalent to Named Ranges in Excel. If you design your documents with that it mind you will find that it is really easy to select parts of your data. For example, you just click the row number at the left to select the entire row and because the table is compact and well defined you don't have to worry about your selection "spilling over" into other parts of your sheet as you might in Excel.

I recommend checking out the included templates at File > New to get a feel for how tables work in Numbers. Once you "get" the table-centric approach you'll find lots of things are easier, and you'll even want take that approach back to Excel, which also has very useful tables (though I've found they aren't as easy to use as Numbers tables).

SG

Dec 18, 2016 9:12 AM in response to SGIII

I know this reply is a year after yours ... but I found this topic via a web search and find the answer less than satisfying. I have a table with 24 months of data, a blank "grey" separation column, followed by half-year and full year totals. In Excel I could update or enter a formula in the first column, then copy it to the rest of the monthly columns by extending with <CMD> right arrow, selecting only up to the blank column with a quick keystroke and no mouse work. With Numbers I can only select all the way to the end of my sheet with one keystroke and then need to keystroke back column by column to the last monthly column ... or I can click and drag ... with of which are not very efficient or inherently accurate.

I think you are suggesting I should butt separate sheets up to each other, one for the months and the other of the totals. That could make it awkward for printing everything on the proper pages. I do understand Number's advantage of using separate sheets on one page can be very helpful, especially when each sheet's row and/or column heights/widths, titles, or other spacing are different ... which usually happens when different information sets are in different sheets.

I echo and support Black316's question/request.

Another thing I miss is the ability when creating a formula to use the arrow keys to navigate to a cell of the formula. Having to move from the keyboard to the mouse is not efficient. For example, in Excel, if a cell is equal to it's neighbor to the left in Excel it's on left arrow tap, with Numbers it's a hand move for mouse navigation and a careful click – if the cell is wide enough to show from under the formula dialog.

Dec 18, 2016 10:22 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Thank you ... I do not want Numbers to be Excel, but even Numbers can be improved. I have shared my request with Apple.

But I do disagree with your comment about posting here. I posted to help others who are transitioning, find they thread with an Internet search, and know a "better" way to do certain spreadsheet things. I am a diehard Mac fan/user since 1986 (and judging by your picture perhaps even before you were born). I used a MA can corporate environments for decades in a PC dominated world (And was a power user of Wingz on Mac, a spreadsheet that first pioneered the Apple multiple sheets on one tab concept) ... and even though Apple does most things better, I know it's OK to not just accept the Apple way as best.

I believe "others", such as power forum posters like yourself, can expand their views to acknowledge use cases where another way might be better so they are more open minded to users who may post here.

Cheers!

Dec 18, 2016 10:49 AM in response to Dean Suhr

Hi Dean,

You wrote: "I think you (SGIII) are suggesting I should butt separate sheets up to each other, one for the months and the other of the totals. That could make it awkward for printing everything on the proper pages."

I don't see how that substantially changes 'printing everything on the proper pages' from your current setup.

You now "have a table with 24 months of data, a blank "grey" separation column, followed by half-year and full year totals," a total of 28 columns (29 if you also have a column of labels to the left of the data, one fewer if you do not have a totals column for the second half of the year).

To convert that to what SG has suggested:

• click any cell to activate the table
  • click the column reference tab for the blank (grey) column. Use the Table menu (or the contextual menu attached to the tab) to Delete column.
  • click and hold the column reference tab for the first Total cell, drag right to add the other total column(s), release the mouse button.
  • click and hold the first total column's reference tab, pause until the selected columns shift slightly, then drag right until they separate from the data part of the table, then drop.
  • click and drag the roundel at the intersection of the row and column reference tabs and drag the new table into position beside the data table, leaving a gap equivalent to the blank (grey) column that was originally there.
  • (optional) with the totals table still selected, go Arrange > Lock to lock it in position and prevent manual changes.

A single click on the row header of any row of the data table will now select the entire row of that table.

A double-click on the row header of any row of the data table will select all cells of that row except cells in a Header column.

Spatially, the two tables will occupy the same location as the data and calculation columns plus blank column did before splitting.

"I echo and support Black316's question/request."

In Numbers, go Numbers (menu) > Provide Numbers Feedback.

The feedback channel goes to Apple, is read, and passed on to the appropriate recipients. Here, you're talking with user of the software, not the development team.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 18, 2016 12:36 PM in response to Dean Suhr

Dean,

My intent was to make sure you knew that opining about features you like or dislike is just that. If you want to effect change, use the menu item "Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback"

No-one here can do anything about opinions of how somethings should, or should not, work. Numbers is the way it is. We can help you (because we are only users) work with (and around) the way Numbers works now.

That's it. If you want excel features, then use the feedback channel, and/or use Excel.

Dec 18, 2016 2:01 PM in response to Dean Suhr

Dean Suhr wrote:

For example, in Excel, if a cell is equal to it's neighbor to the left in Excel it's on left arrow tap, with Numbers it's a hand move for mouse navigation and a careful click – if the cell is wide enough to show from under the formula dialog.

Hi Dean,

This may help.

If the Formula Editor is obscuring a cell, you can drag it elsewhere, or resize it.

If you want to a more keyboard centric way of constructing a formula, for example entering a formula that a cell's value is equal to the cell its left, you can type the = to invoke the Formula Editor, then hold down the option key and use the left arrow key. The effect is similar to Excel in that it reduces use of the mouse/trackpad.

As for navigating to the next empty cell, that's often essential in Excel with its big expanse of cells (though Excel now does have tables too, which can be more efficient than the old way). In Numbers, you'll find it more efficient to use multiple smaller tables on a sheet, and those tables rarely should have empty cells "around the edges" of your data.

By the way, a sheet in Numbers is like a sheet or worksheet in Excel. As with Excel, you can't "butt separate sheets up to each other" because each sheet is in its own table. You can only do that with tables on the same sheet.

SG

Any shortcut for select until next empty cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.