Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello Folk, I need to buy new 2-3 computers for my new architectural office. please enlighten me what would be the best for long term investment, while I cannot invest so much. Many thanks, and enjoy the forthcoming days of Advent. Kindly, Siamak

Hello Folk,

I need to buy new 2-3 computers for my new architectural office.

Please enlighten me what would be the best for long-term investment, while I cannot spend so much.

Many thanks, and enjoy the forthcoming days of Advent.

Kindly,

Siamak

Mac Pro, iOS 9.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:18 AM

9 replies

Dec 1, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Siamak_from_Zurich

Also, it is very difficult to consider any electronic device a long term investment. Any device will be supported for the warranty period - and that makes the extended Applecare Protection Plan a good deal (that is an additional 2 years full coverage in the US; in Europe, I believe your standard warranty is 2 years, so it would add another year) as any repair, especially on the newer iMacs, is difficult and not exactly inexpensive. I would expect mine to last 3 years, but be happy with 5 or so - at that point, they would be quite far behind in processor and graphic card capabilities that you might need/want to consider a new one.

A desktop Mac Pro would be the most robust and the most customizable, but also very expensive. Is that what you have now (that is what you show in your profile)? Or do you have a Macbook Pro? FWIW, you are not running IOS on it, it would be a version of Mac OS X.

Dec 1, 2015 8:04 AM in response to babowa

Thank you both, for your kind reply.

At the Apple shop always are a huge number of people waiting : )

and people at the Apple shop are It people i guess and part-time working at the store, and with no experience in architecture or design... therefore it's hard to get a proper assistance. And I have had G5 and MAC desktop til 2013 May. Now, I am in my own (new business) and I do need to get the right computer for ArchiCAD, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.

Thank you for any further tip you might have for me.

Kindly, siamak

Dec 1, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Siamak_from_Zurich

You need to base your purchase decision on your business and operational requirements. If your firm and clients use Windows only programs then you should equip your office with Windows computers. If your architectural and business support software runs on Apple computers get Apple computers.

Don't base your decision on initial cost but rather base it on your requirements.

Dec 1, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Siamak_from_Zurich

The least expensive way of owning a new mac is to go with the mac mini. Remember with the new mac mini, you cannot add more memory after buying. That forces you to max out the memory to 16gig when you buy. Remember to double any memory requirements you see as the minimum. The entry level mac mini is rather slow. You should go with a faster mac mini.

You could buy one system and load it up with all the software you will need and see how it works. I think you can load your software in an apple store and try it out there too. Just delete when done.

The cheapest way setting up your shop will be to go to ebay and buy all your software and hardware there. This puts a large burden on you to make knowledgeable purchases. You can save a bunch of money on software if you know that you can get by with an older version. You have to factor in your time. You want to be doing business not being an it guy.

You will save a lot of money by going with the mac over time. You will spend a lot less time on it administration.

You should think of customer impressions too.

Dec 1, 2015 2:37 PM in response to Siamak_from_Zurich

Hi Siamak,

I am no expert but I tried to do a lot of research before selecting my most recent MAC. I purchased a MacBook Pro. You really do need to identify the specific software programs that you need for your business. Armed with that list, I would contact Apple or go to an Apple Store to see if those specific programs will run on the MacBook Pro. It they will run, I would select that computer. I would also agree with another responder's recommendation that you upgrade the memory as much as you can.

The MacBook Pro is a very powerful and stable computer -- and it is not that much heavier that the Air. I am thrilled with mine and have had it for four years. I do upgrade the operating system every time that I am given the opportunity to do so. The is the sixth MAC that I have owned and am very happy with them. I think that I may need to upgrade to a newer MacBook Pro within the next year because every computer has a relatively short useful life.

JDandMcGee

Dec 1, 2015 6:03 PM in response to Siamak_from_Zurich

Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan | Help Center | ArchiCAD, BIMx ...

helpcenter.graphisoft.com/technotes/.../mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-beta/

Oct 27, 2015 - Apple has released MAC OS X 10.11 on the 30th of September, 2015. Please note that in MAC OS X 10.11 the current builds of ARCHICAD ...

== Graphisoft User Forums ==

ARCHICAD 19 Update 4011 Is Available

10 posts

Oct 26, 2015

El Capitan

10 posts

Sep 30, 2015

Hello Folk, I need to buy new 2-3 computers for my new architectural office. please enlighten me what would be the best for long term investment, while I cannot invest so much. Many thanks, and enjoy the forthcoming days of Advent. Kindly, Siamak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.