Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brought My First iMac - Need Advise on Virus Protection and Backup Please

Hi All,

So after 30 years of using windows pc's i have finally got my first iMac 🙂

I am pleasantly pleased with how easy the iMac is to use tho i do have a few Noob questions:

1/ Do i need to install any anti virus software on my iMac? one of the reasons i chose Mac is because of its superior security, but do i still need some form of antivirus and if so what do you recommend?

2/ Does the iMac have a built in recovery partition on the hard drive? i haven't been prompted to do a back up so am a little concerned that if everything should go pear shaped i wouldn't have a backup to restore to. If not should i create a backup and how would i go about it?

Many Thanks

Luke

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 3:10 PM

Luke, no virus protection. The same goes for cleaning apps and most other third party utilities. Keep OS X up to date and use common sense safe computing practices and you'll be fine. Watch where you click.

For backups Apple's Time Machine is best IMO. Get an external hard drive 2-3 times the size of your internal drive and let Time Machine do it's thing. The first backup can take a long time but subsequent backups happen hourly in the background. you won't even know it's happening. The late Pondini can be your guide to everything Time Machine http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2015 3:10 PM in response to bblj84

Luke, no virus protection. The same goes for cleaning apps and most other third party utilities. Keep OS X up to date and use common sense safe computing practices and you'll be fine. Watch where you click.

For backups Apple's Time Machine is best IMO. Get an external hard drive 2-3 times the size of your internal drive and let Time Machine do it's thing. The first backup can take a long time but subsequent backups happen hourly in the background. you won't even know it's happening. The late Pondini can be your guide to everything Time Machine http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

Dec 1, 2015 3:11 PM in response to bblj84

1. OS X already includes everything it needs to protect itself from viruses and malware. If you want your Mac to work properly, install no additional products claiming subject knowledge superior to the company that built it and the operating system it runs. Read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.
  2. Yes, and your Retina MBP has the ability to restore OS X from the Internet, if the Recovery Partition should become damaged or unusable. A Time Machine backup or the equivalent is always a good idea, in the event you choose to install some completely worthless "anti-virus" garbage that winds up making your Mac unusable. To learn how to use Time Machine read Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support.

Dec 1, 2015 9:38 AM in response to bblj84

Yes, always have at least one backup as the recovery only takes care of the OS, not your files or other user installed apps. Use either Time Machine or do a bootable clone backup using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper which will help you get up and going quickly if there is a problem. You can just boot into that clone, wipe your internal hard drive with it and clone everything back.

Brought My First iMac - Need Advise on Virus Protection and Backup Please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.