Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I safely upgrade to OSX El Capitan from Mountain Lion 10.8.5

I am now using OSX 10.8.5 (12F2560). I have an iMac 21.5 late 2009, memory 4G 1067MHz DDR3, processor 3.06GHz Core 2 Duo. I do backup on My Passport with 296 GB of 499 GB available. Can I safely download OSX El Capitan?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 4:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 9:44 AM

Yes.

(136769)

14 replies

Dec 1, 2015 9:49 AM in response to sveiks

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info. Your response answered the question, however, I should have stated that I am 72 years old and don't feel confident about downloading myself. I know that there will be steps and questions along the way that I may not be qualified to answer. I am worried that I may lose files, information, photos, etc.

Any additional suggestions? Should I have some @ Apple Store do it or walk me through it?

Helen

Dec 1, 2015 10:01 AM in response to sveiks

sveiks wrote:

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info. Your response answered the question, however, I should have stated that I am 72 years old and don't feel confident about downloading myself. I know that there will be steps and questions along the way that I may not be qualified to answer. I am worried that I may lose files, information, photos, etc.

Any additional suggestions? Should I have some @ Apple Store do it or walk me through it?

Helen

Helen,

It is very easy to do however you should do a backup of your computer prior to doing any updates. If you have not been backing up, please get an external HD (I recommend OWC Mercury Elite Pros, you can find the link below) and begin using Time Machine to backup the computer. .

To update to El Capitan please follow these directions. In the upper left of your display you will see an icon that looks like an Apple symbol, click that and then select App Store. On the right of the App Store you will see an icon that says Updates. Click that and install all the recommended updates including El Capitan and then follow the on-screen directions. Again, doing these steps are extremely simple to do.

If you still don't feel sure you can either call AppleCare (this will likely be a paid call) or ask a Genius at an Apple Store.

Link to Link to Mercury Elite Pro I’d recommend the $149 2TB model.

Dec 1, 2015 12:00 PM in response to sveiks

sveiks wrote:

I purchased a backup system, My Passport (Time Machine), with my computer in 2009. It was set to backup every hour, the latest was at 12:48 and the oldest is June 14, 2010. Is this sufficient? Will there be issues since it isn't a current system?

Your Time Machine backup should be fine, what I recommend is testing it first to make sure it is working okay. This is easily done by restoring any file. What you can do is click the Time Machine icon in the Dock and then navigate to a file and time and restore it. If that works okay, they you're ready!

Dec 1, 2015 12:25 PM in response to sveiks

You can do it! I just upgraded last week. I'm running it on 4gb of ram and it's actually faster than the previous operating system I upgraded from. I also have a Time Machine but didn't need to use it, as it did go smoothly. Just remember that it will take a while to download (depending on your Internet speed) and install. 🙂

can I safely upgrade to OSX El Capitan from Mountain Lion 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.