Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad iMessage e-mail addresses

My iPad iMessage settings list 5 e-mail addresses under "You can be by imessage at" heading.

My question is - does each of these e-mails receive copies of all of my iMessages?

Since they are e-mail addresses and not phone numbers, how would that work?

Thanks

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Dec 1, 2015 5:35 AM

1 reply

Dec 2, 2015 1:49 PM in response to pad1999

Hi pad1999,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! You can think of the email addresses (and phone number, if you have an iPhone) in iMessage like the user or screen name in other messaging programs; nothing is actually sent to your email address, it's just a way to identify you so that other iMessage users can send you (and specifically you) messages. How it works is explained in a bit more detail in the following article:

Instead of using buddy names, you can send messages to people using their phone numbers or email addresses. If you entered their contact info in Contacts, you can enter their name and then select which phone number or email address you want to use to send a message.

When someone sends an iMessage to your email address, you receive it on all of your devices (Mac computers and iOS 5.0 or later devices) that are set up to receive messages sent to that email address. When someone sends an iMessage to your phone number, you receive it on all of your devices (Mac computers and iOS 6.0 or later devices) that are set up to receive messages sent to that phone number. When you view an iMessage conversation, you’ll see all messages including those sent from a Mac or from iOS devices, so you can talk to your friends wherever you are

Messages (Mavericks): What is iMessage?

Cheers

iPad iMessage e-mail addresses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.